The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Lloyd

Lloyd,

I'm not sure they had anything to hide. I've talked to Korean friends of mine and I get the idea that it's a cultural thing. They were also worried that I was somehow keeping customers from entering their store, but all through the 2 hours I was there, there was a steady stream coming and going, and since I was completely across the street, I didn't notice a single customer paying any attention to me.

There's also a lot of unfounded fear out there in the general public when anyone with a camera points it practically anywhere. I can't tell you how many paranoid people I've run into who think that somehow I'm endangering national security when I'm shooting landscapes, urban or otherwise. Just last week I was confronted by a person in a small Wizard of Oz era courtyard a few blocks from the old MGM lot in Culver City. This woman really thought I might be a terrorist. I spent about 15 minutes talking to her and by the end I think she realized that her little cottage was probably not on a terrorist hit list and if they wanted pictures of it they were already available for free from Google Earth. Not THAT really rattled her.

BTW, I had originally shot this digitally with my Canon, and this is one area where film is still miles ahead of digital. All the neon and street lights blowing out are oh so much nicer on film than the harsh cutoff of digital, so I re-shot with film and like the results much better.

Peter
Peter,

I know what you mean about the paranoids out there. I've been confronted a couple of times, and have heard horror stories from friends. The times we live in, I guess?

And yes, I agree about film in those situations. Your result speaks to that very eloquently.

tjv

Hey,
this looks to be a great scan. I see you're using a Howtek, which I presume is a drum scanner? What is the shadow detail like? I use a Nikon 9000 and 8000 plus occasionally a friends Imacon 848 but find they both capture, on VERY close inspection, less shadow detail and more noise in the shadows than what I've seen on a drum scan. Out of interest, if you have time, can you post some 100% crops or info about the above shot to illustrate how good drum scanning is? I terms of your later comment about film being better in the highlights than digi, from my experience with only 35mm digital I agree although suspect digital MF may go a long way to bridge the gap.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I like the photo!

Another Mamiya 7, 80mm shot. Urban landscape, West L.A. I was fully across the street on the sidewalk and first the owners wife and then the owner came out yelling at me not to take a picture of their store. When I told the owner I was shooting the sunset and just including his store in the shot, he pointed down the street and said something on the order of "better sunset down the street..." I reminded him politely that I was the photographer here and I would decide where to shoot from.

Provia. Drum scanned on the Howtek 8000.

Scott G

Mucking about with a Canon Elan II (circa mid-ninties maybe??), with Canon 50mm f/1.2. Pretty sure these are all at f1.2, otherwise what's the point:D?

Kodak Gold 100, drug store processing and scans

Ilford XP2

Lloyd

Mucking about with a Canon Elan II (circa mid-ninties maybe??), with Canon 50mm f/1.2. Pretty sure these are all at f1.2, otherwise what's the point:D?

Kodak Gold 100, drug store processing and scans
Very nice, Scott. Great shots. :thumbup:

pfigen

TJV,

I'll post some crops when I get a chance. I shooting a Philip Bailey CD cover tomorrow, a helicopter shot Friday, back in the studio Monday and then into at least a week of post production, so it might be awhile. The problem with posting crops is that it doesn't tell you a lot unless your comparing to either the original film or the same film scanned on a different scanner, and I've only two scanners, both Howteks. What I can tell you is that it's no problem to pull more shadow detail from an Ektachrome than you can see even looking through a loupe on a JustNormlicht lightbox. The drum scanners have an advantage at the other end of the tonal range too. They can record more subtle differences in the extreme highlights than CCD scanners and that is extended even further with fluid mounting where the Kami scanner fluid makes about a .05 difference in highlight density. That isn't a whole lot, but sometimes it's just little things that count. Hey, that sounds like a song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V--GTLVdECg

tjv

Hey, thanks pfigen. I just received back a bag of film from the lab today and as soon as I put them on the light box and saw them pop I was adamant I shouldn't go digi MF just yet. Funny how you forget the intense pleasure of getting the loupe out and seeing the beautiful colours and definition of slides when packing film up for the lab and stressing out about what it will end up costing you! I think you are correct about posting crops without comparisons, it's just drum scans from E6 always look so great compared to what I end up getting myself from CCD based systems. Something about the tonal range, smooth gradations and better dynamic range?

Anyway, good luck with your work!

Tim

photoSmart42

Just got my new (to me) Canon FTb(n), and ran some cheap Kodak film through it to check the meter before I start feeding it Velvia 50 in Tahoe next week. Seems nicely exposed to me. Not sure if I like the bokeh on the 28/2.8 lens though...

Canon FTb(n); Canon FD 28mm f/2.8; Kodak ASA100 + Costco processing/digiscans

Stuart Richardson

Nice shots guys. I really like the FD lens look from Canon. My first film camera was my dad's T90, so I learned on FD, and I think it still influences the kind of lenses I like. They had some really nice bokeh in those lenses, particularly the L series like the 50/1.2L and 85/1.2L.

bensonga

Wonderful images and color Robert! :thumbs:

I almost hate to post these now....they are so stark and industrial by comparison. These are from the first roll of film I ran thru the Pentax 67II. Taken with a 55mm f4 lens that I hadn't used before. Ilford Delta 400, Epson V750 Pro scan.

Thanks again for the camera Robert....it's working perfectly! A nice improvement over my older Pentax 67 bodies.

Gary

monza

Thanks Gary. :)

Glad you like the Pentax...can't beat the big negative! I'm liking the other 'tax, the Contax (but not liking the other other tax, now that it's almost April 15, but that's another story.)

Here's another 80/2 Planar shot, this one with a 13mm extension tube, Velvia: