The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

photoSmart42

By the way Dragos, this is all your fault!
Glad to be of service :salute:, and thanks for the comments. The Mamiya 6 photos look great! I have mine developed and scanned professionally since I have neither the darkroom nor a scanner. It's not too much of an expense, and for the price of a 9000ED I can scan about 130 rolls at roughly 3200DPI, which should take me a long time to shoot.

m_driscoll

My friend from Florida sent me her Mamiya 6 to play with. Unfortunately she didn't send me her Coolscan 9000 along with it, so here are some pretty unsharp scans from my V750. Some are fairly bleak, which fits my mood these days, so sorry about that...:mad:
Overall I really like the camera, and medium format film is like a giant oversized cartoon version compared to 35mm. Watching those huge negatives hanging up to dry is mesmerizing.
My hesitation is that these shots don't really look like film, to me at least. Maybe it is the smooth and unsharp scans, dunno, but what draws me to 35mm film is that it looks like...film! Not so sure about MF yet.
Some more
Scott: They're nice images! :cool: But, what you said above is almost the exact comment that my friend who works at the camera store (a Leica film shooter) made today while i was looking at the MF gear. Hope your mood improves. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

My friend from Florida sent me her Mamiya 6 to play with. Unfortunately she didn't send me her Coolscan 9000 along with it, so here are some pretty unsharp scans from my V750. Some are fairly bleak, which fits my mood these days, so sorry about that...:mad:

Overall I really like the camera, and medium format film is like a giant oversized cartoon version compared to 35mm. Watching those huge negatives hanging up to dry is mesmerizing.

My hesitation is that these shots don't really look like film, to me at least. Maybe it is the smooth and unsharp scans, dunno, but what draws me to 35mm film is that it looks like...film! Not so sure about MF yet.

Excellent Scott!

jbcrane

Hi Matt-Love that bridge shot. Well done. How's the F6 treating you? Are you getting anything good with it? Been out of the loop for a while. Here's a couple from Louisiana in June wit the RZ67 on FP4+:

m_driscoll

Hi Matt-Love that bridge shot. Well done. How's the F6 treating you? Are you getting anything good with it? Been out of the loop for a while. Here's a couple from Louisiana in June wit the RZ67 on FP4+:
John: Welcome back. These are excellent! I really like the detail and tonality. Great dynamic range. :thumbup:

Thanks for asking. Been shooting a bit with the F6. Mostly, I've been working. Guess I can't complain about having work. Here's a collection of some of my F6 photos. Sort of a progress report. Still trying different films. http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p957618460

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Matt, those bridge pictures are insanely good!
John, fantastic tones and textures, they are really nice.
Scott: Thanks. :D I need to get out and actually shoot some film.

Contax G2 with 90mm Zeiss f2.8 Sonnar, Delta 400 at 6400. I could have used a faster lens!
Scott: They look good. There's a gritty, mean streets (not so much the people watching the movie), quality that i like. Slices of nightlife. I esp. like the first and the last. Cheers, Matt.

jbcrane

Matt, those bridge pictures are insanely good!

John, fantastic tones and textures, they are really nice.
Thanks Scott. Good ol' FP4 in medium format is a detail-collection machine... these were scanned in with my EPSON V500 so they're what I'd consider mediocre-to-decent detail retention. I'm looking forward to drum scanning them to see what's really there. Absolutely in love with the FP4 + MF combo for lots to look at in a photo.

jbcrane

John: Welcome back. These are excellent! I really like the detail and tonality. Great dynamic range. :thumbup:
Thanks Matt. It's a lot of fun to go slow and be intentional - a nice change from the grab n' fly mindset I have so often... I was really trying to get the most out of each of the few frames I made... light could have been better, a little more contrast between the dark foreground tree and the background foliage in the center tree shot, but it was still worth making the image.

John:
Thanks for asking. Been shooting a bit with the F6. Mostly, I've been working. Guess I can't complain about having work. Here's a collection of some of my F6 photos. Sort of a progress report. Still trying different films. http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p957618460
Love some of those Ektachrome shots. My crazy eye likes lots of look at... some of those are just gorgeous - in a Seattle grunge kinda' way. I'm envious of what appears to be easy access to such rich subject matter there in Seattle. It's one of my favorite destinations but alas, haven't been for years. Keep up the great work!:thumbup:

m_driscoll

Thanks Matt. It's a lot of fun to go slow and be intentional - a nice change from the grab n' fly mindset I have so often... I was really trying to get the most out of each of the few frames I made... light could have been better, a little more contrast between the dark foreground tree and the background foliage in the center tree shot, but it was still worth making the image.

Love some of those Ektachrome shots. My crazy eye likes lots of look at... some of those are just gorgeous - in a Seattle grunge kinda' way. I'm envious of what appears to be easy access to such rich subject matter there in Seattle. It's one of my favorite destinations but alas, haven't been for years. Keep up the great work!:thumbup:
John: If "grab n'fly" is your normal approach; then you're very good at it. It's hard to work at an image, wait for the right light, and all that. I can spend a few hours casting to a trout under some lily pads, but, I never could work patiently for two hours to get a perfect photo. I might photograph the same thing ten different times, though.

Thanks for looking at my work in progress. I've always liked Ektachrome. BTW, very cool NO photos on your F6 site. Oh, and what's the plastic cube on the top of your D3s?

Matt,Jb & Scott...Smashing!!!
Steve: Thank you, sir. :D

Cheers, Matt