The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

bensonga

Leica R8, 90mm Elmarit, Ilford Delta 100, Canon FS2710. Abandoned electrical instrument panel of some sort or another.

Gary
Alaska

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It really is hard to choose between the Leica R8/90mm Elmarit and the Canon EOS 1V/85mm f1.8 results. Both look very good to me.

This one from the Canon 1V. This really is a terrific film SLR....

Gary
Alaska

This one really caught my attention because of the play between the bold color and the interesting textures and rusty parts.

bensonga

Cindy,

Yes, I think they must have given it a fresh paint job recently! :)

On the other hand, Engine 1802 hasn't moved from this spot for a few years.

Ebony 45SU, Nikon 210 f5.6, Fuji Provia 100, Epson V750 Pro scanner

Gary
Alaska

helenhill

TRES COOL Gary...Love Trains

I had had sooo much Fun out & about on the Street Lately
Heres a few w/Contax G1 21 Biogon /acros 100 / rodinal 13.5
Do Hope everyone ENJOYS !!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Very nice, Helen. The first is enchanting. I am amused that it says "White Event" and the man is standing there all spiffed-out in his white uniform. Well spotted.

helenhill

Love it, CINDY - its Inviting & sooo Soft on the Eye

How many Shots Does One Get ?

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Yo Helen! Nice eye for the Navy guy. And nice series with the Acros. I confess that I find this film/developer combo more appealing than some of your other film shots that appear to have more compressed tonal ranges.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Love it - its Inviting & sooo Soft on the Eye

How many Shots Does One Get ?
Thanks, Helen. There are 12 6x6 shots on 120, 24 on 220 film.
This was my first roll of Efke. The film strips came back from A&I in a flat cardboard mailer (very nice service), but when I tried to put them in the V700 strip holder, they curled. I don't think I am getting anywhere near the focus or detail that is possible. I'm just learning on this Epson. It isn't as straightforward as scanning with my Nikon V was.

helenhill

Yo Helen! Nice eye for the Navy guy. And nice series with the Acros. I confess that I find this film/developer combo more appealing than some of your other film shots that appear to have more compressed tonal ranges.
Thanx Tim :) but I do have a Question....re: Your thoughts
Aside from film/developer combos
I have now been doing very Little Agiattion / My Inversions are just down to two every other minute and very GENTLY & am extending the Developing Time abit More / more like the Mad Scientist
in the bathroom-darkroom than the Controlled Aesthetic :grin:

So i assume less agitation does something as well.... perhaps more detail & longer gradation of Tones OR am I too cerebreal in my thoughts :ROTFL:
Thanx again - Helen

Last edited:

Lloyd

That first one is outstanding. Well seen, and too dang funny!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanx Tim :) but I do have a Question....re: Your thoughts
Aside from film/developer combos
I have now been doing very Little Agiattion / My Inversions are just down to two every other minute and very GENTLY & am extending the Developing Time abit More / more like the Mad Scientist
in the bathroom-darkroom than the Controlled Aesthetic :grin:

So i assume less agitation does something as well.... perhaps more detail & longer gradation of Tones OR am I too cerebreal in my thoughts :ROTFL:
Thanx again - Helen
Ahh, I wish I could answer definitively for you. But I am so many years out of practice with film that I think others might be better able to help.

However, when I made my comment about the compressed tones of some of your shots, I was referring to some posts you've made where the highlights were severely squashed. Now maybe that's your intention/interpretation. Which is cool, just not my cup of tea. But to be honest, they almost look fogged, underdeveloped, or both. [I looked for a sample, the one you took of your bud as he was looking up at a building, a recent post, but couldn't find it] These latest examples have a much better range of tones and cleaner look (to my eye).

There's lots of opinions about agitation, with varying ideas about what gives the best results. I would venture to guess that it will depend a lot on a number of elements. Rodinol for instance, can be used with very little or even no agitation. So if that's what you're using with this recent set, you can't necessarily draw the conclusion that no agitation will yield "...more detail & longer gradation of Tones" as a rule that would apply for other developers.

Typically the majority of opinion falls to either 5 sec. agitation every 30 seconds, or 10 sec. once every minute. No agitation for most developers (other than Rodinol) is going to yield less than optimal results.

But I will say that back in my lab rat days, consistency was the key to success. For each developer/dilution/film combination it was important to be as consistent as possible to accurately judge and tweak the process. So if you want to test the results of various agitation methods, the best way to judge results is to ONLY change the agitation portion of the process on films exposed in a similar fashion and with the same developer and development times. If you add too many variables you'll never be sure which aspect was responsible for the thing you like (or hate).

Keep on truckin'!

bensonga

Hi Helen. I love the White Sale/Navy guy photo too...and the others also. Love street scenes from the big cities! I've only been to NYC once....what an amazing place. Wish I could live there for 6 mos to a year someday. So much to see and do.

You B&Ws are very strong. Are you doing the scanning of the negs yourself? If so....more details please. I just don't seem to be getting such good results. Thanks!

Gary
Alaska

Stuart Richardson

For the most part, agitation controls contrast. The more you agitate, the more contrast the negatives will have. The low agitation method with 1:50 or 1:100 rodinal is really allowing two things to happen -- 1. Highlights require more developer than shadows, and by not agitating, you are allowing the developer to exhaust at the highlights, which means that they develop more slowly than the shadows. Since you are not agitating, fresh developer will not reach the highlights, but this does not effect the shadow. This is a "compensating" effect, and it lowers contrast and can compress the midtones a bit. It is a good technique for photographing in high contrast lighting -- either daylight or night/interior shooting. It gives great negs for scanning, but occasionally a bit thin for traditional printing.

2. The second thing that happens with rodinal and low agitation is the so-called "edge effects". These are basically when you have areas of high and low density, the developer will behave in a way such that it makes the contrast higher at those edge areas. Basically, it works the exact same way an unsharp mask does in photoshop, but it is obviously more subtle -- it just makes the microcontrast higher, which makes the negatives appear much sharper.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm still trying to come to grips with the square format and a new scanner.
Rolleiflex F2.8
Fuji Superia 100

Kodak Ektar 100

helenhill

I LOVE the first shot...there is an Intimacy and Voyeur FEEL
which maybe the SQUARE format heightens...Lovely :thumbs: