The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

bensonga

Thanks Cindy....here's another from the same roll. This is the first time I've used the Ilford Delta 400....more grain than I'm used to, but I think it works for this type of "scenery". I usually shoot 100 ISO films, but it's been so gray and gloomy lately and I knew I would be too lazy to use the tripod on this first roll of film thru the P67II (these were all hand held). The 55mm lens seems to exhibit more distortion than I'm used to seeing with my other wide angle Pentax 67 lenses.

I'm afraid the snow really was that gray and dirty....it's that time of year here. However, today it would be beautifully white and clean...it's been snowing all day and we will probably have another 8-10 inches of new snow on the ground before it stops. I should go out tomorrow and take some more photos! We're all hoping this is winter's last blast.

Gary

Stuart Richardson

Monza -- those are very beautiful portraits. The expressions and compositions are nicely chosen, and the color palette and backgrounds are lovely. Are they also with the Contax 645?

Gary -- Industrial spaces also have their beauty, stark though it may be. I think I like that last photo best. I like how it shows the city and the land colliding.

On another note, I just received the last of my personal effects from the US, and among them was my slide projector. I had a slide show with a friend, and we were both thinking how amazing a good projected slide is. So much more satisfying than any other photographic display medium I think. If the primary display medium for photography were projected images, I am sure digital never would have taken off. Just the color gamut of projected slides is so far beyond anything digital can do...it's like an entirely different artform.

monza

Thanks Stuart, I give all the credit to the model. :) Very pleased with Portra. All the previous were with the Contax 645 and 80/2 Planar. The one below was shot on Portra 160VC with an 85/2.8 Sonnar on a Contax Aria, downsized from a 25 megapixel scan.

photoSmart42

A few more from my first roll of film through the Canon FTb(n). Waiting to get my film developed from my Tahoe trip - can't wait! I'll post some when I get them back.

Canon FTb(n); Canon FD 28mm f/2.8; Kodak ASA100 + Costco processing/digiscans

Maggie O

Sue In The Snow, 1978

My sister, outstanding in her field. Er, on our creek. In the middle of the pasture. On the farm. In 1978 or so.

Shot with my Canonet and developed in dad's darkroom in the basement. I found the small file of a scanned negative (maybe print) in my old iPhoto library and I can't remember where the file came from. But I spiffed it up a bit in LightZone, because this photo makes me smile. I loved the overgrown and unused pasture, probably because it was never-tilled prairie, just pretending to be a pasture. I miss having a little wild and private place to go whenever I felt the need.

Here's the camera that made the shot:

Canonet QL-17 GIII, January, 2010

This is my first 35mm camera and I've held on to it for all these years. In the last couple of years, the foam light seals have degraded and sort-of melted and I can't find the batteries for it anymore. Which is a shame, as it is a very nice little camera with a great lens.

bensonga

Hi Stuart,

Is this the same volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier that is spewing ash and causing all the flight cancellations in Europe now?

Took me a few attempts to get the name spelled right (hopefully).

Gary

Haha, no Leif, I am fine. Yes, they are all shots of the volcano currently going here. I have some others, but not really done yet. Most are from very far away. It is a 10 hour hike to get to the actual eruption site, and I have not really been up for it. It is crowded with thousands of people, it is freezing, and I don't really think I can get a more original photo than anyone else, so I am steering clear for now. I have been there twice. The first time 3 days after it started, there were only 40 people or so. The next time I went (on the weekend), there were over 1000 people there. That is more than 1/300th the population of the whole nation, so it felt really crowded!

Here is a standard (non-film) shot of the eruption:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Dragos, Those are very nice, but the third one really stands out to me for color and the second for interest.

Maggie, My first rangefinder was a Canonete, too...but mine was a lowly 28. I loved that camera, but I eventually sold it and moved on to SLR. It is really cool that you still have yours.

Stuart Richardson

Gary -- yes, it is the same volcano, but the eruption shifted to a different place and a different style. The one I photographed was much more benign. Much of the volcano is located under a glacier, but when it began, it was in the best place possible -- a bare area between two glaciers -- it was mostly just lava spewing out with very little in the way of flooding or ash. Now it has moved to the worst possible place -- under the deepest part of the glacier. This means that there is lots and lots of ice to melt and extensive flooding. Additionally, it has gone from producing very little ash to producing a larger amount.
People are not too worried about this one though. They are scared about one called Katla -- it is not far away and in the same volcanic system. Traditionally, when the one that is currently going erupts, Katla is not far behind. It is a much more violent volcano and is deep under a large glacier. When it erupts it causes huge amounts of flooding (actually, in the 1700s it put out more than the flow of the Amazon, Nile, Missisippi and Yangtze combined! That is a lot of water in a small area) and a lot more ash.

photoSmart42

Dragos, Those are very nice, but the third one really stands out to me for color and the second for interest.
Thank you! I'm guessing the film I used for these test shots had been sitting on the shelf in the convenience store for at least 10 years in the San Diego heat, so I wonder if that gave these photos some sort of special coloring.

photoSmart42

This is my first 35mm camera and I've held on to it for all these years. In the last couple of years, the foam light seals have degraded and sort-of melted and I can't find the batteries for it anymore. Which is a shame, as it is a very nice little camera with a great lens.
Maggie, I'm working on buying a QL17 myself to use a street shooter. It uses the same batteries as my Canon FTb, and I was able to find new PX625s in the local photo store that are the correct voltage, but not made from mercury. They take a few seconds to heat up before they come up to voltage, but they work fine. Might want to check locally or online to see if they have the same batteries. You can also find replacement seals for it online for cheap, and do the modification yourself. Might be a fun project to give your trusted camera some new life =).

Maggie O

Maggie, My first rangefinder was a Canonete, too...but mine was a lowly 28. I loved that camera, but I eventually sold it and moved on to SLR. It is really cool that you still have yours.
It's funny, I was so excited when I got a Konica TC SLR to replace what I thought was a second-rate kiddie camera, but I never could bring myself to sell the Canonet and was always using it when I didn't want to lug a bigger camera around. I sold off the TC and the Konica T4 that replaced it when I got my Nikon F3 (which I still have, too), but the Canonet soldiered on!

Stuart Richardson

It uses the same batteries as my Canon FTb, and I was able to find new PX625s in the local photo store that are the correct voltage, but not made from mercury. They take a few seconds to heat up before they come up to voltage, but they work fine. Might want to check locally or online to see if they have the same batteries.

Keep an eye on your metering -- the problem with the new batteries is not the listed voltage, it is the way they lose power. Mercury cells have a very very flat output curve -- they put out the same voltage when they are new until right before they die. Alkaline, silver oxide and lithium are not as good as this. Most old meters used this stable output to set the meter response, so you may find that your battery overexposes to start, works for awhile, and then underexposes. It is very difficult to compensate for. You can use Wein Cells, which are Zinc Air batteries (expensive and don't last long), you can have the camera modified to work with different batteries, or you can sometimes hack current hearing aid batteries (a lot of which are zinc air and very cheap) and make an adapter for them to fit your camera.
But just beware that even if the voltage is the same on the batteries you found, they might not work with the meter properly.

photoSmart42

Keep an eye on your metering -- the problem with the new batteries is not the listed voltage, it is the way they lose power. Mercury cells have a very very flat output curve -- they put out the same voltage when they are new until right before they die. Alkaline, silver oxide and lithium are not as good as this. Most old meters used this stable output to set the meter response, so you may find that your battery overexposes to start, works for awhile, and then underexposes. It is very difficult to compensate for. You can use Wein Cells, which are Zinc Air batteries (expensive and don't last long), you can have the camera modified to work with different batteries, or you can sometimes hack current hearing aid batteries (a lot of which are zinc air and very cheap) and make an adapter for them to fit your camera.
But just beware that even if the voltage is the same on the batteries you found, they might not work with the meter properly.
I've been experiencing some of the issues you're describing already, so I'm hoping the photos I took in Tahoe will come out metered OK. I'll look to see if I can find some different battery options as well.

Stuart Richardson

I hope so too Dragos -- I am looking forward to seeing the photos. Just doing a quick search, this appears like it is probably the most comprehensive paper on the problem -- it is huge! http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Anyway, here are some photos from the past few weeks. Mostly Hasselblad, but also 4x5 at the end. The color is E6 I processed myself -- Provia 400x pushed to 1600.

sizifo

Some awesome shots on this thread, once again.

Here are a few from Ben Nevis with the blad + 80mm. First time I've used tri-x. Perhaps not the best film for landscapes but, never the less. The tonality gives me or***ms even though it's nowhere near as good as some of the previous posts here, especially the large format iceland photos.

Stuart, wanted to thank you for the discussion & comments about slide film, etc. a while ago. Have been away from the computer in the past weeks and thus didn't manage to reply at the time.