The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Lloyd

Another in the series of urban or semi urban landscapes around LA. This is a seismic sensor in the Santa Monica Mountains. Mamiya 7. 65mm lens. T-Max 100 I think.
Tack sharp, and wonderful tones. Looks like something from an Orson Welles movie. :eek:

Maggie O

Another in the series of urban or semi urban landscapes around LA. This is a seismic sensor in the Santa Monica Mountains. Mamiya 7. 65mm lens. T-Max 100 I think.

WOW! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Composition, tones, microcontrast, sharp in all the right places, soft where it should be yowza! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don't you love the sharpness and tones from the Mamiya 7/65mm combination? All the things Maggie said, too!

Stuart Richardson

The Mamiya 7 with any lens is crazy. I am really holding myself back -- there is a very nicely priced Mamiya 6 here, no lens though unfortunately. But it is very tempting...a 6x6 Mamiya 7 with a collapsible lens mount...tempting...

sizifo

It's a wonderful photo. Most of the Mamiya stuff on this thread looks stunning.

I've been having a lot of fun pushing HP5 with Tmax to iso1600. Here are some contrasty scenes made ridiculously contrasty with the pushing. It's the hasselblad. Obviously all are cropped in one way or another.

No head

A jogger. The tonality here is beautiful I think.

Trellick tower

Stuart Richardson

I forgot to mention two things -- 1. Yes, it is a great photo! It really does look like an alien ship. 2. It's odd, because we are a huge earthquake area here too, and I have seen some of these around. Ours look different though. Still like an alien craft, but slightly different. I don't have a picture of one, but there is one right near this area, on the road to a place called Djúpavatn:

It's not far from where this burnt out car was...

And this is digital, but it is right to the right of my bike! Out of frame of course. I will take a picture next time I am out there...it's only a little ways out of town...30 minutes or so.

pfigen

The seismic sensor image is one I've always liked, but thought it was too weird for the general population. Sometimes I shoot these things for my own personal amusement. Glad y'all liked it.

Lloyd

The seismic sensor image is one I've always liked, but thought it was too weird for the general population. Sometimes I shoot these things for my own personal amusement. Glad y'all liked it.
We did. Amuse us some more. :thumbup:

pfigen

Here's some E-6 - either Fuji or Ektachrome - I don't recall, shot off the coast of Santa Barbara for an anti offshore oil drilling poster I did for the Sierra Club and the National Oceans Conference in Monterey back when Clinton was still in office. A SB lawyer took me out in a 35 ft motor boat and I acted as my own gyro. Everything was fine until I got back to dry land, where I was nauseous for the next three days. Drum scanned on the Howtek. Shot with an old F4 and a Nikon 80-200 2.8.

Maggie O

Another blast from the past, scanned via the Nikon and from my F3/28f2.8 and the much-hated-by-me original T-MAX 400:

Susan And Friend, Monticello, MN, Early 1990's

I love the photo, but man, those T-MAX tones and grain structure just bug me. I played with this in PP more than most.

Lloyd

Another blast from the past, scanned via the Nikon and from my F3/28f2.8 and the much-hated-by-me original T-MAX 400:

Susan And Friend, Monticello, MN, Early 1990's

I love the photo, but man, those T-MAX tones and grain structure just bug me. I played with this in PP more than most.
Great shot Maggie.:D

pfigen

Maggie - I agree about the old T-Max400. I never liked it all all. It was just weird, no umph like Tri-X or even Plus-X, but that being said, I like your image nevertheless. I do wonder how it would look if there was just a hint of detail in the blown out highlight in the upper left.

Here's a Tri-X (still one my favorite films in any format, that and Ektapan 4X5) Holga image from Bodie that I kinda like

Maggie O

Holga + Tri-X = super gorgeous! (in your hands, for sure!)

I dodged the blown highlights as much as I dared. It's just chalk and soot under there. Stupid T-MAX.

pfigen

Maggie - I've been able to pull incredible highlight detail from the densest of negs, but on the Howtek drum scanner. Maybe you've run into a limitation of the Nikon there. I apparently don't have the image here on this laptop I was thinking about - a ten second handheld DianaF image that I almost through out because it was so dense, so this'll have to do instead... T-Max100, #29 Filter RZ67 50mm

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Anthony, The black and white of the last set is beautiful.
pfigen, The holga photo is gorgeous. I feel like you could reach out and grab that headlight. Once again "it isn't the gear...."
Maggie, You must have a treasure of old film. I am really enjoying your blast from the past.

pfigen

"Once again "it isn't the gear...." This is so true, and to think I got hassled on Sunday at Universal City Walk (only there because my girlfriend was playing music) for having what the nineteen year old security guard deemed a "professional" camera. If he only knew.