The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Stuart Richardson

Here are some photos. Two portraits (entitled The Killers), and then some fish from my ongoing series on these lovely fellows.

I know they are morbid, but I find them very fascinating as aesthetic objects. I don't think that is easy to see right off the bat, but I hope to try to make an installation or exhibition out of these, and I think printed large and in a group, they will better demonstrate what I am getting at.

m_driscoll

Like the vert & horizontal lines, mountain & Daffy checking it all out!
Steve: Thanks. :D

Here are some photos. Two portraits (entitled The Killers), and then some fish from my ongoing series on these lovely fellows.

I know they are morbid, but I find them very fascinating as aesthetic objects. I don't think that is easy to see right off the bat, but I hope to try to make an installation or exhibition out of these, and I think printed large and in a group, they will better demonstrate what I am getting at.
Goddamn, I love your work, Stuart!!
Stuart: +1 to what Maggie said. I have to ask why "Killers"? The fish are a bit morbid, but as a collection in B & W (?) they'd be intriguing with the light and shadows and the grotesque detail. I'll, also, ask why dead fish are hanging around to apparently rot? An Icelandic treat?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Stuart Richardson

Maggie -- I have some ideas for the installation, but I need to flesh them out ;).

Matt -- Thanks for the compliments. I called it The killers just because they look tough and angry in those photos, but they are actually both very sweet and nice people. It was just a joke.

The fish are hanging up to dry. After they are processed the most profitable fillets are sold to the home market, Europe, Asia and the US. The remaining parts of the fish -- the heads, spine and fins mostly -- is hung out to dry in the Icelandic countryside. There is very little in the way of pests in the cold arctic environment, and the constant wind makes the fish dry out rather than rot. It might also be salted, but I actually do not think these in particular are -- I believe they are just hung up. After a few months hanging, the fish is completely dried out, and is sent in bulk to Nigeria. There it is a delicacy -- I believe it becomes soup-base.

P.S. I love that first one you have there -- I think it is the most effective at conveying the feel of the sculpture. Very cool!

Stuart Richardson

The majority are cod and haddock, but the very ugly wide headed ones like in the first two photos are monkfish. In the last photo of my first post, the darker one with the big jaws is either an Atlantic wolffish or a spotted wolffish. They are all commonly eaten fish, the wolffish being the rarest of the bunch.

m_driscoll

Maggie -- I have some ideas for the installation, but I need to flesh them out ;).

Matt -- Thanks for the compliments. I called it The killers just because they look tough and angry in those photos, but they are actually both very sweet and nice people. It was just a joke.

The fish are hanging up to dry. After they are processed the most profitable fillets are sold to the home market, Europe, Asia and the US. The remaining parts of the fish -- the heads, spine and fins mostly -- is hung out to dry in the Icelandic countryside. There is very little in the way of pests in the cold arctic environment, and the constant wind makes the fish dry out rather than rot. It might also be salted, but I actually do not think these in particular are -- I believe they are just hung up. After a few months hanging, the fish is completely dried out, and is sent in bulk to Nigeria. There it is a delicacy -- I believe it becomes soup-base.

P.S. I love that first one you have there -- I think it is the most effective at conveying the feel of the sculpture. Very cool!
Stuart: Thanks and thanks for the info. I'm glad the "killers" weren't hiding out in Iceland. Excellent use of the fish. No waste. Also like the "angry" one. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Maggie O

The majority are cod and haddock, but the very ugly wide headed ones like in the first two photos are monkfish. In the last photo of my first post, the darker one with the big jaws is either an Atlantic wolffish or a spotted wolffish. They are all commonly eaten fish, the wolffish being the rarest of the bunch.
Ah, thanks! I've never seen a wolffish! I've eaten monkfish, tho'. YUM!

Maggie O

From the F3 28/2.8 Nikkor combo:

Mario and a Table, Northfield, MN, 1987

Cast and Crew, Northfield, MN, 1987

KMJ, Northfield, MN, 1987

Mario's Table, Northfield, MN, 1987

KMJ, Northfield, MN, 1987

Tri-X in D-76; the classic.

Maggie O

Oh what the hell, I'm just going to keep posting photos.

Enter Eric, Saint Paul, MN, 1987

GTI Door, Minneapolis, MN, 1987

Same roll of film and rig as the previous five.

Maggie O

I guess I'm the only one shooting non-Leica film this week!

Some more shots from my Nikon F3 and Ektar 100, mostly shot with the Nikkor 105/2.5 lens I got this May (4 CHEEP!)

Greenfly, June, 2010

Cat Model, June, 2010

Bob Whiskers, June, 2010

Bob On The Printer Stand, June, 2010

And one taken with my old Nikkor 28mm lens:

Bobcat In The Grass, June, 2010

Lloyd

I guess I'm the only one shooting non-Leica film this week!

Some more shots from my Nikon F3 and Ektar 100, mostly shot with the Nikkor 105/2.5 lens I got this May (4 CHEEP!)

Bob On The Printer Stand, June, 2010

And one taken with my old Nikkor 28mm lens:

Bobcat In The Grass, June, 2010
Nice ones Maggie. Especially these two. Love the color of his eyes in that last one. :thumbup: