The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

mathomas

First MF shots for me since the 70s. Taken with my new (to me) Fuji GW690III (fixed 90mm f/3.5 lens). Gotta love the smooth tones and amazing detail captured by MF. And the GW690 is pretty easy to handle, even though it's truly a giant camera.

Maggie O

The medium format Fuji looks like quite the beast. You sure do make nice photos with it, Mike! Love that old Plymouth.

Stuart Richardson

Lovely shots Mike. I like the first shot of the plymouth best as well. The Fuji rangefinders are really nice beasts! I used to have the G690 (the interchangeable lens one). I sold it when I decided to go to a Mamiya 7, but I do prefer the 6x9 neg in the Fuji. But just 8 shots a roll, so you have to make them count!

mathomas

Thanks, Maggie and Stuart. I probably like the Plymouth one the best too. It was my last frame of three rolls shot that evening, so it was relatively dark by then. It got some of the dusky atmosphere in it.

Stuart, you are so right. I had in my head that I was getting 9 frames per 120 roll, and that was bad enough. Then I realized I was only getting 8. Well, the excitement of shooting a new camera overrode all (or most) caution. As it was, only 1/3 of what I shot was worth showing to anyone else. This could be an expensive experiment, but I think the tones and detail possible with this camera/lens/film format might make it worth it -- if I can live up to it.

Thanks again...

m_driscoll

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate the kind words!
Matt -- thanks for the critique, I think it is really useful. I agree with you that I like the first one the most, even if she looks high (I swear, no pot involved! Heh, I know what you meant...). I like the expression (whatever is going on in the mouth/pout), as well as the angle and the fortuitous breeze. Interesting comment on the second one as well, I had not really considered that! It makes sense.
On post processing -- I don't think I can take much credit! I try to find soft light, and the rest is mostly due to Carl Zeiss, George Eastman and Alfred Harman! I only apply a tiny curve.

I really like the colors you have captured in the market. I think you also did a nice job with the capture of the woman at the fruitstand. The lighting highlights the arm really well and the darker processing on the rest of her body clearly separates it from the "butt shot" genre (anyone on the Leica forum a couple of years ago remember that whole genre??).

Ok, a couple more -- some graphic designers (and M8 shooters! Sacrilege!) visited the lab the other day...I was showing them the Hexar AF. I think its shutter made them jealous as their M8 gunshots went off! (kidding of course).

Stuart: The facial expressions and body language in your portraits is always very interesting. Her's changes from skeptical to sel-satisfied/pleased. His seems the same: bemused. :thumbup:

First MF shots for me since the 70s. Taken with my new (to me) Fuji GW690III (fixed 90mm f/3.5 lens). Gotta love the smooth tones and amazing detail captured by MF. And the GW690 is pretty easy to handle, even though it's truly a giant camera.
Mike: Stellar! I like the plymouth, also; but, that pallet photo's really cool. Great pp and IQ. I look at a used Mamiya 645 AFDd every time i go into the camera store; and, then I hit myself in the head with one of the Leica books that are stacked right there. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

mathomas

Stuart: The facial expressions and body language in your portraits is always very interesting. Her's changes from skeptical to sel-satisfied/pleased. His seems the same: bemused. :thumbup:

Mike: Stellar! I like the plymouth, also; but, that pallet photo's really cool. Great pp and IQ. I look at a used Mamiya 645 AFDd every time i go into the camera store; and, then I hit myself in the head with one of the Leica books that are stacked right there. :salute:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Thanks Matt. Regarding, the 645 -- it's only a half-frame camera -- go all the way ;).

(of course, all the LF people are then saying to me, "get a real camera and shoot at least 4x5").

Lloyd

Some more pics from my first roll through my Contax G2
Nice ones Scott. I can easily see why you're liking that new camera.

BTW, did you find it difficult to link from Flickr since the new version went live? I sure have.

Scott G

Thanks Lloyd. Agreed the new and improved Flickr is much more of PITA to link from. I have been clicking on the "Share this" tab, selecting "grab this HTML", choosing the size, and copying everything from the "http://farm.....jpg" string.

Is that how you are doing it?

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. Agreed the new and improved Flickr is much more of PITA to link from. I have been clicking on the "Share this" tab, selecting "grab this HTML", choosing the size, and copying everything from the "http://farm.....jpg" string.

Is that how you are doing it?
I've done it that same way as well, but recently discovered that I could choose the View All Sizes in Actions; choose the size I want, then right-click on that image, and choose "Copy Image Address", and get the same thing.

BTW, I went to the Help forum in Flickr and saw that there were a couple of people posting who seemed to know an awful lot about the new changes, and who vigorously (and sometimes rather snidely) defending Flickr, but who were not identified as Staff. I called them out, and accused them of being shills for Flickr. I was promptly told I was being "timed out" from the forum for "name calling" and "finger pointing" :eek:

Maggie O

If I defend Flickr's new layout, will you call me a shill, too?

Because, aside from the bbcode markup problems (which Flickr never supported, anyways), I think the new layout and functionality are major improvements to the site.

Scott G

Lloyd that definitely sounds like a better way.

Maggie, I agree, in general it is an improvement. Despite finger pointers like Lloyd! :D:D

Lloyd

If I defend Flickr's new layout, will you call me a shill, too?

Because, aside from the bbcode markup problems (which Flickr never supported, anyways), I think the new layout and functionality are major improvements to the site.
I don't care about the new look one way or the other. What I don't like is the inability to turn of the viewing of different sizes. Yes, I know you could always see the large size when playing the Slideshow (but that wasn't widely known, and I only found it out recently). I'd just like to have the option. I also discovered that you can't disable camera info. I posted a pic as a test, and there it was. "Taken on X date, with a D3" I'd also like the option not have that visible.

BTW, they really were shills. I went back through several threads on the so-call Help forum, and in every thread where there were folks complaining about the new changes (and, the primary complaint was not having the option to limit the viewing of different sizes), those same two people were vigorously shooting down complaints... Over, and over again. The were just a little too smooth, knew an awful lot about the changes, and Flickr policies (and were even able to link to them, and to responses on other threads). There answers were smack on the Flickr "party line". They also repeated the same responses over and over... in one case, one posted essentially the same response more than a dozen time over about a 12 hour period. (I was "timed out in part" because I "repeated the same argument... I post a total of 4 times over about an hour!) Then, when one of the Staff actually posted, I went to his page, and guess who shows up on his contact list. Yup, both of them. And btw, none of them ever denied being shills.

Scott G

Agreed, that is not acceptable.

Lloyd, I don't know if you are a Lightroom user, but I am pretty sure that you can disable posting all metadata as an option in the new Flickr posting function in LR3

Lloyd

Agreed, that is not acceptable.

Lloyd, I don't know if you are a Lightroom user, but I am pretty sure that you can disable posting all metadata as an option in the new Flickr posting function in LR3
Good point. I do use LR, and I'll being doing that from now on. Thanks.