The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Maggie O

What's wrong with posting metadata? I've learned a lot by looking at other people's files.

Stripping it out just seems kinda selfish to me. But what do I know? I don't even get paid to shill for Flickr.

Lloyd

What's wrong with posting metadata? I've learned a lot by looking at other people's files.

Stripping it out just seems kinda selfish to me. But what do I know? I don't even get paid to shill for Flickr.
Well, I have my nefarious (but not selfish) reasons. :D And you'd never stoop to such things. :angel: Well, unless you were paid in guitar picks and developing supplies, eh? :thumbup:

Maggie O

Well, I have my nefarious (but not selfish) reasons. :D And you'd never stoop to such things. :angel: Well, unless you were paid in guitar picks and developing supplies, eh? :thumbup:
Could you explain those reasons? I honestly don't understand why you would need to hide that information on photos posted to Flickr. Is someone paying you to hide your EXIF data? Why?

I haven't done any pro work since I went digital, so I'm ignorant of any reasons to hide that data.

And you know, if a client asked me to, I'd strongly resist it, or just not post the stuff to Flickr, I guess.

Lloyd

Could you explain those reasons? I honestly don't understand why you would need to hide that information on photos posted to Flickr. Is someone paying you to hide your EXIF data? Why?

I haven't done any pro work since I went digital, so I'm ignorant of any reasons to hide that data.

And you know, if a client asked me to, I'd strongly resist it, or just not post the stuff to Flickr, I guess.
No big deal, I just use a variety of cameras, and occasionally shoot with one or another that might belong to one of my sons. I used to get all sorts of questions about the cameras or the lenses versus the images, or comments like, "oh new camera, I wish I was wealthy so I could by one... you're so lucky", from random people. So I just started not allowing that info to be seen. Here, by contrast, I post in the specific forum thread, and include all the info. Different group of people here, so I don't mind.

Maggie O

Ah, the bane of the internet: the random jerk.

I just ignore those guys, unless I can actually help a new photographer out with some tech advice.

Thanks for answering my ignorant question, Lloyd. You're not selfish at all.

photoSmart42

Got my first test shots taken with my newly acquired Mamiya C330F, and so far I'm very pleased. I thought the shutter may be one stop slow, and the photos are a tad overexposed based on using my iPhone to meter the scene, but it's manageable. I'm very happy with the results!

Mamiya C330F + Sekor 80/2.8 Blue Dot + Kodak Ektar 100; Hand-held, various shutter speeds/apertures

mathomas

Got my first test shots taken with my newly acquired Mamiya C330F, and so far I'm very pleased. I thought the shutter may be one stop slow, and the photos are a tad overexposed based on using my iPhone to meter the scene, but it's manageable. I'm very happy with the results!

Mamiya C330F + Sekor 80/2.8 Blue Dot + Kodak Ektar 100; Hand-held, various shutter speeds/apertures

Nice shots. The color is great!

photoSmart42

Nice shots. The color is great!
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback! I hadn't used that film before, so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. I got the cheapest slow film I could find for these test shots, and I didn't spend a lot of time composing as I normally do. I'm also thinking I'll definitely need to get the 55 lens to get the wider shots. That, and at least some form of portable support I can take with me.

Here's a few more:

m_driscoll

Here's a couple of Pike Place Market images from the early 1970's. Both were taken with a Nikkormat. I don't know whether, i like the more contrasty, CS5 punched-up, version, or the lighter one. I like the greater detail in the lighter one. I think, film is much harder to pp (IMHO given my photoshop skill level). "Get it right in the camera" is correct (but time travel's not an option). I'd be interested in some comments/critique
Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Some more pics from my first roll through my Contax G2
Scott: Looks like you're having fun. Nice photos. The IQ certainly seems good.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback! I hadn't used that film before, so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. I got the cheapest slow film I could find for these test shots, and I didn't spend a lot of time composing as I normally do. I'm also thinking I'll definitely need to get the 55 lens to get the wider shots. That, and at least some form of portable support I can take with me.
Here's a few more:

[/IMG]
Dragos: Nicely done! I had to google that camera. Looks very cool. You probably get some looks when your shooting with it.

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Dragos: Nicely done! I had to google that camera. Looks very cool. You probably get some looks when your shooting with it.
Thanks, Matt! I did get some looks and comments, but I think for the most part people didn't understand what they were looking at. Got smiles from the older crowd, got confused looks from the younger crowd. It's all good =).

Here's one of my botched shots. I thought the shutter hadn't gone off, so I manually re-cocked it and fired off another shot, and ended up with a double exposure. I kinda like it:

Also my attempt at macro with this camera (very shallow DOF indeed!). The difficult part about doing macro with a TLR is the parallax between the lenses at close range. There's a parallax indicator with this camera, so I know where the top of my actual image is, but for the most part I'm still shooting blind so I have to go back and forth between the two lenses to get the composure correct, all while seeing the image upside down and having to adjust the exposure for the extended bellows (there's an indication of that on the glass as well). Fun times! =)

Scott G

Matt, LOVE the market pictures!

Dragos, these are sensational! Like Matt, I had to google that camera too, it looks very cool. You inspired to me to consider MF, so a friend loaned me her Mamiya M6. We will see...

Scott G

Matt, amazing pics, I am impressed and amazed that you still have the negs from back in the day.

I was cleaning the house over the weekend (a rarity) and came across a box full of photos from my days bike racing in Italy, circa 1999 or so. Including a box of slides....and I have never shot slides in my life! No idea who shot them or what the camera was, or even how I got them, it must have been one of my teammates.

But sure enough they are me, doing a training ride up the Monte Grappa, an absolute brute of a climb of around 15 miles, that was included in this years Tour of Italy.

Believe me, it is not blurred because of my speed, I was never a climber, more of a diesel on the long climbs like this

It was always completely different weather at the top, usually covered in cold fog like this.

Damn I miss that place!:thumbs:

m_driscoll

Cool photos, Matt! Were they shot on Plus-X?
Maggie: Thanks. :D Kodak Tri-X Pan. I'm behind on my metadata bookkeeping.

Matt, amazing pics, I am impressed and amazed that you still have the negs from back in the day.

I was cleaning the house over the weekend (a rarity) and came across a box full of photos from my days bike racing in Italy, circa 1999 or so. Including a box of slides....and I have never shot slides in my life! No idea who shot them or what the camera was, or even how I got them, it must have been one of my teammates.

But sure enough they are me, doing a training ride up the Monte Grappa, an absolute brute of a climb of around 15 miles, that was included in this years Tour of Italy.

Believe me, it is not blurred because of my speed, I was never a climber, more of a diesel on the long climbs like this

It was always completely different weather at the top, usually covered in cold fog like this.

Damn I miss that place!:thumbs:
Scott: Thanks. They were all in a box in a dark place for a long time. :D
Cool biking photos. I'm impressed. It's great to have photos like that. The last one is an excellent image. It seems to capture the feeling of what those training runs by yourself must have been like.

Oddly enough, I've been scanning 12 slides every night of Italy, circa 1983. My wife was there studying for 6 months and I went over at the end of December. Many more nights of scanning to go.

Cheers, Matt

Scott G

My friend from Florida sent me her Mamiya 6 to play with. Unfortunately she didn't send me her Coolscan 9000 along with it, so here are some pretty unsharp scans from my V750. Some are fairly bleak, which fits my mood these days, so sorry about that...:mad:

By the way Dragos, this is all your fault!

Overall I really like the camera, and medium format film is like a giant oversized cartoon version compared to 35mm. Watching those huge negatives hanging up to dry is mesmerizing.

My hesitation is that these shots don't really look like film, to me at least. Maybe it is the smooth and unsharp scans, dunno, but what draws me to 35mm film is that it looks like...film! Not so sure about MF yet.

Lloyd

My friend from Florida sent me her Mamiya 6 to play with. Unfortunately she didn't send me her Coolscan 9000 along with it, so here are some pretty unsharp scans from my V750. Some are fairly bleak, which fits my mood these days, so sorry about that...:mad:

By the way Dragos, this is all your fault!

Overall I really like the camera, and medium format film is like a giant oversized cartoon version compared to 35mm. Watching those huge negatives hanging up to dry is mesmerizing.

My hesitation is that these shots don't really look like film, to me at least. Maybe it is the smooth and unsharp scans, dunno, but what draws me to 35mm film is that it looks like...film! Not so sure about MF yet.

Kewl stuff Scott. I've always love the Mamiya 6 (and 7)... sharp, sharp lenses, great form factor, rangefinder, and amazing MF negs. Looking forward to more.

BTW, nice shots of you on the ride in Italy. Didn't realize you were a "serious" rider. Very kewl. I'm just heading out for my third ride of the day... back to the shop to pick up my vehicle.