The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

mathomas

Mike, I just saw this & im so sorry to hear about Jake. He was a beautiful boy & im sure he he had a wonderful,loving life with you & your family! R.I.P. Jake.
Thanks Steve. I probably didn't make clear enough that we actually had him put down a few years ago, but thanks for your kind thoughts. We do think of him often, and Claire's great portraits of her Weimey always remind me of Jake. He did have a very good life. Lucky dog!

T

tokengirl

One from the weekend walk-about in the Wynwood Arts District. More to follow later.

Fuji Klasse W with HP5+/Rodinal. Negative "scanned" with Canon 5DMkII/100mm macro.

shtarka1

Scott G

Some Holga...

And a Hassy. I am not sure where my recent fascination/obsession with bridges and tunnels comes from, but bear with me because I can't stop....:cry:

pfigen

It's always funny to me that when I go back to shoots from years ago I find frames that were far better than the ones we originally used. A trip to Westwood Music Sunday afternoon to have my old Martin 00-17 (1948) worked on reminded me that I had photographed Lyle on the roof of their old location on Little Santa Monica Blvd. for the cover of Acoustic Guitar Magazine - sometime in the late '90's, I think.

This is shot with T-Max100 in direct sun with a red 25A filter, developed in T-Max Developer and scanned on a Howtek 8000.

Scott G

Peter, that's an amazing photo of Lyle. He has always seemed like a relatively normal guy, all things considered. Any tales to tell?

And how about a photo of your Martin??:thumbup:

pfigen

Thanks Scott. Hard to make this short...I was told that I had to shoot within a three block radius of Westwood Music, and after fruitless scouting, from the alleyway behind the store I saw a ladder going to the roof. On the day of the shoot, we were setting up lights, stands, sandbags, extension cords, etc. on the roof, when Lyle's publicist told me he would "never" go up there. Well I continued and shot a Polaroid of my assistant and took it inside to show Lyle. He took one look at it and said "I love it, let's go" and away we went. As I was finishing shooting, the publicist, whose name is long forgotten, was getting antsy, looking at her watch and saying we needed to quit. I told Lyle that I thought we were done and in plain view and within earshot of the publicist, he said "...shoot a couple more rolls just to make sure you've got it..." Seems he was a feeling a bit oppressed by her as well. He made sure to thank my assistant personally and by name for helping and was one of the nicest people in the music business I've ever dealt with. The common denominator that day between Lyle, Fred Walecki and myself, was Willis Alan Ramsey, whose songs Lyles was teaching to Fred in between setups.

pfigen

Most of the musicians I've photographed have been great to work with, but a few have been that much more fun - people like Lyle, Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt, Bonnie Raitt, Utah Phillips, John Jorgenson, etc. The worst situation was trying to shoot Cheap Trick at a Sunset Blvd hotel, and dealing with two very drunken members of The Black Crowes - so drunk they couldn't even stand up.

Lloyd

Great story, Peter. I've been a fan of Lyle's for years. His live concerts are among my favorite I've ever attended. He has an easy going way about him on stage, and a very intelligent and slightly odd sense of humor that I really enjoy.

BTW, your website is like a trip down memory lane. Great, great stuff. :salute: