The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

johnnygoesdigital

Downstairs,

Can you explain your use of the triple scan and how it effects the photograph? Fantastic photograph! Send a PM if you like.

John

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sometimes, when I have picked up a couple of films at the lab, loaded them in the scanner and the results start appearing on my monitor, I re-discover photography. Sometimes, I know that, even if I could re-create the results with a digital camera, it would take time and effort on the computer and still, I wouldn't be sure if I was there or not. Film has a way to capture the real atmosphere of a scene that I rarely see with digital cameras. The world isn't grain-free, it's as simple as that.

F6 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF and Fuji Proplus II 200
The film is mostly available in third world countries. In Cambodia, it's $2 per roll and my lab charges me $1.50 for development. Life is good :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Sometimes, when I have picked up a couple of films at the lab, loaded them in the scanner and the results start appearing on my monitor, I re-discover photography. Sometimes, I know that, even if I could re-create the results with a digital camera, it would take time and effort on the computer and still, I wouldn't be sure if I was there or not. Film has a way to capture the real atmosphere of a scene that I rarely see with digital cameras. The world isn't grain-free, it's as simple as that.

F6 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF and Fuji Proplus II 200
The film is mostly available in third world countries. In Cambodia, it's $2 per roll and my lab charges me $1.50 for development. Life is good :)

Amen! This is exactly the way that I feel when I scan a negative.:thumbs: Both of these photos have a wonderful feel.

johnnygoesdigital

Hi Cindy,
The 58xl is a great lens, and this is a much scaled down version. The resolution on the original is amazing! I love this format!.

Jorgen-
Really nice compositions! There's a wonderful flow to Bangkok Wet II, amazing POV!

T

Twoshoes

Beautiful shots in here, makes me want to try and explore film as I've never had the chance (young-ish and got into photography late).

My grandma recently gave me an old slide projector and a bunch (maybe about 8-10 holders) of little slides. I'm just wondering if it's possible to scan these onto a computer and what sort of detail I'd get? They look stunning held up to the light considering how small the they are. They have "Kodachrome Transparency" written on the slides as well as "Processed by Kodak" and some numbers on the back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

pencil_tube

In my opinion, slide is the best film ever made, and slide projector is the best way for viewing the slide. But slide is also hardest for scanning, you should use the best scanner (imacon or drum-scan), i think it will be 90% compare to slide projector.

PatrickCheung

oh my god. I was referred here by Jim to share my shots... though after viewing all your stuff, I feel almost embarassed to post it. I began shooting film about a year ago, and like most teens shooting film, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. I never seem to be able to get the colours, detail, and contrast that you guys are getting in your shots! I can't seem to get good scan either (probably because I'm using a flatbed scanner, Epson V500). There is some breathtaking work here! I feel extremely humbled looking at the stuff you all produce.

I suppose I'll post anyway, if anyone has any feedback, feel free to comment!

I guess I'll start off with a little intro! I'm a 19-year-old boy currently in my home town of Markham, Ontario, Canada. I'm enrolled in the University of Waterloo's Architecture Undergraduate program and I've just completed my first year. During school terms, I live in Cambridge, Ontario, a nice small little town a little west (i believe) of Toronto. I started shooting film a year ago because I wanted to experiment with Medium Format... but then it grew into an obsession with Leica cameras and 35mm. When I entered university, I didn't have the time or money to dedicate to film (scanning, developing, etc.), so I sold all my pricier cameras (M3, Hexar RF, Rolleicord) and only kept my XA. Now that I'm off for summer, I can afford to spend a little more time with film, so I bought myself an Minolta and 15 rolls of Portra during my recent trip to Hong Kong (at $4 a roll in Hong Kong, how could you resist?)

I'm in a relationship with a girl I met in my program... she also shares my interest in cameras and photography :) It's nice. She's the girl in my XA photos :)

Here are a few of my recent shots:

Olympus XA + Kodak Gold 400

I just got my first roll back from the Autocord... it's rather disappointing. I shot the roll on a really sunny day, the shadows were lost and the highlights were blown out... the colours were funky. In all honesty, I don't know how to fix that... I'm sure people don't only photograph on cloudy days... so how do you all get nice shots on sunny days with harsh shadows and sunlight?!

Minolta Autocord + Portra 160 (converted to BW digitally 'cause the colours were funky)

And here are a few of my older shots... from maybe a year ago? I really don't remember what they were taken with... I believe these were from a Leica iif, and a Rolleicord III!