The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

bensonga

I haven't posted anything here for awhile...

This shot was taken with my Pentax 67II and a recently acquired Pentax SMCP 35mm fisheye lens. Velvia 100.

I won't be able to take many more pictures of Engine 1802......it's being dismantled and hauled off to the scrap yard. :-(

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Engine 1806 is further along in the dismantle and scrap process.

Pentax 67II, SMCP 35mm fisheye lens, Velvia 100.

Gary

biglouis

Gary

What is the secret to Velvia exposure? My results are always variable and I'd love to achieve what you have in the first picture. My results are either under or over exposed!

LouisB

bensonga

Hi Louis. If there is a secret trick to getting consistently good exposures with Velvia, I'd like to know it too. That first picture was the best exposure on the roll (10 exp on a Pentax 67). Most were a bit underexposed. I don't shoot Velvia very often because it is so unforgiving, but I had a few rolls in the fridge and decided to give it a try again.

What color transparency film to you shoot most often? I've settled on Provia 100 for most of my color film work.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Gary

What is the secret to Velvia exposure? My results are always variable and I'd love to achieve what you have in the first picture. My results are either under or over exposed!

LouisB
In "the old days", I routinely overexposed Velvia (only one version then, the classic 50) 1/3-1/2 stop. That mostly gave me the colourful, saturated images I was looking for at the time. That was 35mm film with an OM-1 and I believe that the formula for the current 50 has changed somewhat.

Just my 2 ISO :)

biglouis

Gary

Glad to hear your experience is close to mine. I regularly over expose my print film to good effect but I was told that with slide you should expose at the rated iso. So my recent foray was with Velvia 100 at the stated iso.

I haven't used slide film in years. I only use print and mainly only Kodak Portra, with occasional use of Fuji films.

There is a certain 'aura' amongst photographers about Velvia so I thought I should give it a try (which I do about every 3 years then as the results are so weird I don't touch it again!).

Jorgen - maybe the formula has changed?

I think I might go back to Kodak Ektar. Also an extreme film, in a way but with more consistent results.

Louis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Louis, everything changes, so Velvia probably has too.

I haven't tried Ektar yet but somebody told me that it gets more saturated with overexposure. What's your experience?

biglouis

Jorgen/Gary

I used Ektar quite a lot last summer (the weather in the UK has been so awful this year I am currently using Portra 400!). Here are some results to judge for yourself (the colour not necessarily the quality of the capture!).

These are all Hasselblad SWC shots taken when I first got the camera and I was still working out how to scan and in particular the level of sharpening required.

Train to Rural Spitalfields

Upwaltham Church

Wildflowers, Spitalfields, Self