The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

seakayaker

what film do you use seakayaker? very nice colors. what do you scan with?

Pele and the Cosmos played at the original Yankee Stadium while George was around. :D
The film was Kodak Porta 160. The negatives were developed and scanned at 60 minute photo in Seattle.

. . . . . thanks for the reminder regarding that little piece of history with the great Pele playing at Yankee Stadium.

seakayaker

Nice!
You visiting LensWork Publishing, Dan? If so, say hello to Brooks for me. :)
Thanks for your kind works Godfrey!

I am a subscriber with LensWork but have not dropped by their offices. I believe that photograph was taken on a Saturday or Sunday evening up in Anacortes. The LensWork office is on 3rd street which is across from the shipyard where the photograph was taken. If ever up there when they are open I will drop in and say hello.

seakayaker

Ken, The detail in Yankee Stadium is fantastic. Eye candy!

Dan, Your nautical photos are really fine. I love the colors that you are getting from the Mamiya.

Cindy, thanks for your kind words. Yes the Mamiya is a wonderful medium format camera. Great lens which are sharp and certainly capture lots of detail. Love the photographs with the color film as well as black and white. I do wish they sold B&W 220 film, certainly can not find it around except in color.

seakayaker

Cherry Trees ~ Lakeview Cemetary ~ North Capital Hill Neighborhood ~ Seattle, WA

Mamiya 7 II ~ 80mm f4 ~ Kodak Porta 160

Professional

Honestly speaking, for those outdoor shots, i prefer to use Velvia or Provia or Ektar or Reala over Portra, i will use Portra mostly or mainly for portraits indoor or outdoor, i feel the colors are muted or disaturated for these kind of shots, i like Portra no doubt, but i will not use it for these shots.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Dan, Love these, love the Portra. It is my color film of choice. Seattle really has some beautiful neighborhoods and interesting locals.

Godfrey

photos with the Balda Baldix 6x6 ...

I've been itching to take the old Balda (1955ish Baldix 6x6 folder) for a walk since it arrived, finally had a chance to do so over the weekend.

I loaded it with Fuji Acros 100 for testing. I made a loading mistake this first time which cost me one frame out of the twelve. I know what I did wrong so I'll not do that one again. :)

Otherwise, the camera performed very nicely other than for opening it. The lens standard mechanism is sticky and I think there's something slightly out of alignment in it. It opens and snaps into place properly, eventually, but it takes a lot of careful fussing to make that happen. I'll bring it by the camera repair shop and see what Fred can do to massage it. Otherwise, the lens seems good, the shutter seems pretty accurate and the images have that lovely vintage look to them ... I felt good about posting a few:

All six are available to see on Flickr, here's a slide show:
Garden Walk - Balda - 2012

Thanks for looking! Comments are always appreciated.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Godfrey, Bravo. I looked at your entire set on Flickr and love the look. My favorite is the first one that you displayed here.

Godfrey

Thanks Cindy!

It's a pleasure to work with 6x6 again. I could get hooked...! ;-)

I'd rather not keep fussing and fiddling it to work, risking further damage, so I dropped the Baldix off at the camera repair shop today. Fred's off in Germany for a couple of weeks on vacation—I'll likely not hear from him until about the middle of October with an estimate.

Fun fun fun...

GregMO

Hi all. I'm new to the forum after many months of reading. Here is a shot from the Library of Congress interior taken with my AFD on Provia 100 with 150mm lens.

seakayaker

Honestly speaking, for those outdoor shots, i prefer to use Velvia or Provia or Ektar or Reala over Portra, i will use Portra mostly or mainly for portraits indoor or outdoor, i feel the colors are muted or disaturated for these kind of shots, i like Portra no doubt, but i will not use it for these shots.
Thanks for your feedback, I will see if I can pick up some of the film you suggested and give it a try.

seakayaker

Dan, Love these, love the Portra. It is my color film of choice. Seattle really has some beautiful neighborhoods and interesting locals.

Thanks Cindy! Yes I have been loving the Porta, both the 160 and 400. Yes Seattle and surrounding area has many photographic locations, some very nice place to walk with a camera or two!

Godfrey

++1! Nice work Godfrey, I do like all six but my favorite is the last with the 2 gentleman sitting at the table!
Thanks Dan!

Have to say that's my favorite from this roll too. I love what the Baltar 75mm lens does with all of them, though. The interesting thing is that my exposure foo is fine ... every frame is within the right exposure ballpark, all having made just one reference light reading. The challenge with the Baldix is focusing properly.

I'm hooked, dammit. I considered that I'll probably not see the Baldix back for a month or so, happened across what looks to be a lovely Voigtländer Perkeo II with the Skopar 80mm f/3.5 lens, and bought it. Magpie Syndrome strikes again...

Sheesh, who knows? Maybe next year instead of buying a new Leica M I'll just get a new Voigtländer Bessa III and become a true anachronism. ;-)

seakayaker

Cindy, thanks for the inspiration, I did get a chance to get out with the Rollieflex and put a couple of rolls of film through it.

Red Leaves ~ Cultus Bay Nursery ~ Whidbey Island, WA

Bird House ~ Cultus Bay Nursery ~ Whidbey Island, WA

Rolleiflex Zeiss Planar 75mm f3.5 ~ Kodak Porta 160