The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Shelby Frisch

Subscriber Member
And here she is with my brother, I think he was a little nervous holding her. I must have been in a hurry to grab the shot.

I could be mistaken about the camera, it could have been an old Rollicord I owned before I picked up the Mamiya 330.

Godfrey

I was going to take the Voigtländer Perkeo II out for a walk this weekend but the bed latch seems to have gotten jammed. Sigh ... the travails of working with 50+ year old cameras! I'll bring it in to Fred at the repair shop and see what's gone on. The Balda Baldix he overhauled is working flawlessly.

Ended up not shooting at all this weekend, had other stuff to deal with, but I processed a couple more from last weekend's walk with the Balda:

Balda Baldix 6x6 on Ilford XP2 Super

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Louis, beautiful lighting in that London cityscape image.

Godfrey, that photo of the track in black & white is very moody and atmospheric.

For this photo of a dune, I was lying on my belly with my elbows digging into the sand.

Shot with a Canon AE1, Canon FD 24mm f2.8 and Fujichrome Sensia.

biglouis

Another SWC shot - this time from a recently opened new viewing gallery opposite St Paul's Cathedral in London. This is a 4:3 crop from a 6x6 fram (obviously).

Hasselblad SWC, Kodak Portra 400, LR and CS3 processing.

Maggie O

I found my 1979 Olympus XA in my camera bag the other day and finally developed the roll of Ektar, revealing an archive of images that goes back to January of 2011. Here's a set from that roll:

Jackson, April, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Bringing Supplies to the Lake, January, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Michael, December 23, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Mollie, January, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Michael and Jackson, December 25, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Cats in the Studio, May, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Jackson, April, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Shareholder, May, 20122 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Stephen Junior in the Christmas Tree, December 26, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Jackson in the Closet, April, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Girls, December 25, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Mikey Keeps Up with Things, December 26, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Walgreens' scans, because VueScan is inscrutable to me and the original Nikon scanning software won't run on Mountain Lion. Grrrrrr.

biglouis

Maggie, great set of colourful, sharp, amusing pictures - and a reminder of what a fantastic 35mm shooter that XA was and can still be!

LouisB

Maggie O

Maggie,
I love how you document everyday life. It is so much fun to look at your photos.
The Vuescan Bible The VueScan Bible: Everything You Need to Know for Perfect Scanning (English and English Edition): Sascha Steinhoff: 9781933952697: Amazon.com: Books is great at explaining Vuescan and all its options. I recommend it.
Thank you so much Cindy, for both the kind words on my work and the recommendation for the VueScan book!!! :thumbs::clap:

I kind of think of my work as an extended documentary project- a low-res time machine/data collector and art project all wrapped up into a sort of indoor/outdoor street photography.

bensonga

Here's a set from that roll:

The Girls, December 25, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
I love this photo!

First off, I want to be clear.....I love cats. I had two cats (or they had me) for almost 20 years. A Siamese and a Russian Blue. There are no cats currently in our house only because my wife is convinced I'm at risk of developing allergies to cat hair as I get older (happened to my mother) and she doesn't want to be faced with a choice between a cat or me.

Frankly, I don't want her to be faced with that choice either, because I'm quite sure that I'd be out on the street, looking for a new home.

That said.....what is it with Persian cats? They always look so grumpy!

Are they truly grumpy or do they only look grumpy?

Love your photos Maggie!

Gary

Maggie O

Scooter, my little grey princess, is usually a sweetheart, but she does get a bit grumpy when the young tabbies are around. She's 12 years old and has some aches and pains and just doesn't always want to put up with those crazy kids.

But even when I first got her, eleven years ago, she looked angry even when she wasn't. I think it's the short nose. She's really a sweet and loving snuggler of a cat.

biglouis

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Walgreens' scans, because VueScan is inscrutable to me and the original Nikon scanning software won't run on Mountain Lion. Grrrrrr.
Just bought the Kindle version. I know, I know, hardly maintaining the analogue tradition of film! :)

Louis, :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Louis and Maggie,
I have been scanning with Vuescan for many years. I learned to use it the hard way. This book should make the learning curve a lot easier and Nikon scans beat the heck out of scans from my Walgreens (my Walgreens really over sharpens, but yours Walgreen scans look good).

Maggie O

Louis, :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Louis and Maggie,
I have been scanning with Vuescan for many years. I learned to use it the hard way. This book should make the learning curve a lot easier and Nikon scans beat the heck out of scans from my Walgreens (my Walgreens really over sharpens, but yours Walgreen scans look good).
I got the Kindle version, too! Because I didn't want to wait until next week to scan negs!!!

I've found Walgreens to be hit-or-miss. The one close to my old house was awful- the minilab gouged my film and the scan were horrid. The one close to my new house is pretty darn good. The prints are, in many cases, frame-worthy and the scans, as you can see, are adequate for the web, if not close to the Coolscan V's quality.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is another old one. It was shot probably on Kodak Ektachrome E100V using the Leica 105-280mm and a polarizer. The polarizer really helped with the lit end of the red barn. Without it, the red was not as saturated, probably because of the reflected light.

robsteve

Subscriber
Thanks, guys!
I agree with the rest in regards to your photos, though every time I see a cat picture and especially if shot with a Leica, I think of Erwin Puts:)

I also used Vuescan in the past, but eventually bought a license for Silverfast, which seemed to work a bit better with my Polaroid scanner. Silverfast is probably the best, but not cheap.

GregMO

Here is a shot from early September of the Marine Corps War Memorial outside of Washington. On Velvia with 645 and 120 macro.