The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So for fun...
Shot this with a Hasselblad on Delta 400 using a 120mm lens and a #16 filter

-bob

biglouis

Back to using my 500CM for an outting to England's South Downs area over the weekend. This is a wonderful piece of national heritage, an 11th Century Saxon church built by Earl Godwin, father of King Harold (of 1066 an all that fame). It stands in a field prone to flooding with a tributary of the Lavant river which rises in winter in heavy rain and snow melt. The church contains a wonderful 11th century wall painting - the detail of which you can see in my posts in the 'Fun with DP2M pictures' in the 'Other Digital' section. Incidentally, the church is outside an abandoned village, probably cleared by the Black Death in the 14th century!

Kodak Portra 400, Zeiss Planar 80/2.8 f16.

J

JohnW

Nice thread. Thanks, everyone, for sharing. I'm wistful for the film years. - John

India, 1977 | Nikon FM

Lloyd

Very nice set, John. Love that first one in particular. I'm wistful for those times myself... if I could have them without the ex-wife!!:eek:

J

JohnW

Very nice set, John. Love that first one in particular. I'm wistful for those times myself... if I could have them without the ex-wife!!:eek:
Thank you, Lloyd. I'm actually going to India again in a couple weeks. Looking at these makes me wish I had a film camera to take along.

Sometimes I think I should get a film M and a 50 or 35 and be done with all this -- for the rest of my life.

John

Godfrey

Thank you, Lloyd. I'm actually going to India again in a couple weeks. Looking at these makes me wish I had a film camera to take along.

Sometimes I think I should get a film M and a 50 or 35 and be done with all this -- for the rest of my life.
Very nice work with the FM in '77.

It's not so bad a thought. There are many times when I feel like chucking it all down to the basics like that. But then ... there are a lot of nice film cameras out there too. All different formats, types, etc. I've gotten into the 6x6 and Polaroid SX-70, done some more 35mm. Today I have my Minox EC loaded and in my pocket.

Onwards, always onwards!

G

J

JohnW

Very nice work with the FM in '77.

It's not so bad a thought. There are many times when I feel like chucking it all down to the basics like that. But then ... there are a lot of nice film cameras out there too. All different formats, types, etc. I've gotten into the 6x6 and Polaroid SX-70, done some more 35mm. Today I have my Minox EC loaded and in my pocket.

Onwards, always onwards!

G
For me it could just be nostalgia. Sometimes we love the IDEA of something more than the realities of it. But the one thing I have little of is time. And I've no particular fondness for scanning.

Still, the older I get the less I shoot, but the greater I value what I do shoot. And I'm pretty sure I'm no better a photographer than I was decades ago, despite the wonders of digital capture and processing.

For some reason this thread has made me reflective. Must be all that grain.

John

Godfrey

For me it could just be nostalgia. Sometimes we love the IDEA of something more than the realities of it. But the one thing I have little of is time. And I've no particular fondness for scanning.

Still, the older I get the less I shoot, but the greater I value what I do shoot. And I'm pretty sure I'm no better a photographer than I was decades ago, despite the wonders of digital capture and processing.

For some reason this thread has made me reflective. Must be all that grain.
Not quite as tasty as scotch, but if it does the job ... ;-)

I understand the nostalgia. I get nostalgia for things I never even experienced, like the Robot Star cameras or the Alpa 10d. They were just things I loved to look at when I was young and couldn't afford anything. Most are pretty crappy in reality compared to what we've got today.

I pulled out my favorite little Minox EC yesterday and loaded it with film*for the first time in a decade. I also reached into my bag and grabbed the Ricoh GXR-M, fit the Color Skopar 28/3.5 lens and an optical viewfinder on it. Haven't used that in a while either. With each of these little actions, the adventure begins anew.

G

In Ramsey – Isle of Man 2011

Godfrey

Something new to play with in the film universe arrived in the mail today:

1938-1940-ish Robot Star II

It's in better shape than expected. I'm sure the shutter needs a cleaning, but it winds, everything seems to work. The pre-war, uncoated Zeiss Biotar seems in very good condition ... no fungus, no oil contamination.

24x24mm format. Both feed and take-up cassettes are in it, but I believe this model can actually feed from a standard 35mm cassette. I don't believe there's a way to rewind, however.

A very cool little camera: solid as a rock and hefty. I've been curious about these little buggers for a few decades. Guess I need to load a roll of film and see what I get before I send it off for a shutter service. :)

Godfrey

biglouis

Godfrey, I guess you can see now where Fuji got the inspiration for their recent X series cameras!

Post some results soon.

LouisB

Godfrey

Godfrey, I guess you can see now where Fuji got the inspiration for their recent X series cameras!

Post some results soon.
Um, I don't get the connection. Sorry.

I took an old roll of film and practiced loading the feed cassette this evening. Connected it to the take up cassette and fitted it in the camera. One spring wind up nets about 10 frames in rapid sequence ... The film transport works perfectly, no torn sprockets or other issues. A roll of 135-36 nets fifty exposures.

Tomorrow, I'll load a roll of XP2 Super for real.

Godfrey

sjg284

After 5 years without film.. I reacquired an LTM..
IIIf w/ Summitar
shot a roll of Ilford XP2, here's three shots..

sjg284

Patrick - Glad to see a familiar face over in this side of the forum, great set
Viablex1 - Great shot.. and Neopan1600! Did you stockpile it? After returning to film after 5 years, that's the one product I'm missing.
Jeremy - Great texture
Nikon F4s w/ 50mm f/1.2.
Ben - Great detail and tonality. That's an interesting workflow I've not thought of.. Shoot film, scan it, and then run it through Nik Silver Efex Pro 2? How much processing do you do in there?
Shot with my one and only rangefinder....the Mamiya 7II. 65mm lens, Ilford Delta 100, processed with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

Photo taken a couple months ago....I finally got around to having the film developed last week. This locomotive has since been hauled off to the scrap yard.

Emmawest - Lovely portrait, thanks for sharing!
Steve - Lovely animal shot!
This is another fairly old shot, done with the 105-280mm and probably Kodak E100VS. The fox pup was coming out of a den it had in the dune at a local beach. I used a blind for this, with a metz flash as fill.

Godfrey

Something new to play with in the film universe arrived in the mail today:
1938-1940-ish Robot Star II
Follow up and update: another Robot enthusiast from Germany has assisted me with some details:

It's a Robot II (no Star, those were post war models) and the serial number says it was manufactured in 1941 and owned by the military at the beginning.

I loaded up a test roll to practice and test the film transport, seems to be working perfectly. So this morning I loaded a short roll of Ilford XP2 Super and took it on my walk. What a cool camera to shoot with! It is heavy as a modern mid-range DSLR and operates very smoothly indeed. I don't think I get anything slower than 1/20 second from it, but the same gent sent me the name of a small shop in Germany who will totally rebuild and restore the shutter to original specification. They're also able to modify the film chamber to match the post-war IIa (1952) and allow it to use a standard 35mm film cartridge as the feed.

I'm jazzed, of course. This is fun. ;-)

Pix soon...

Godfrey