The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Canon Rebel Xs + EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6

A couple of weeks ago, a friend found this Canon Rebel Xs in the trash bin near his car. He picked it up and brought it to me. I fitted a fresh battery and tossed an old roll of film, expired in 2000, into it to see if it worked. I had the film processed last weekend. 24 shockingly decent exposures.

This is one of my favorites.

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

G
Godfrey, I hereby declare you a genius. I'll start searching trash bins too and see if that will result in images as great as this one :thumbup:

Godfrey

Godfrey, I hereby declare you a genius. I'll start searching trash bins too and see if that will result in images as great as this one :thumbup:
LOL! So why do I spend so much money on new camera gear, I wonder! ;-)

Here's another one from the same roll:

I tell ya, this old junk can be a lot of fun!

G

Godfrey

Last Saturday was the third anniversary of obtaining the keys to the our condo. We decided to have a little party to celebrate.

And I decided to do Polaroid SX-70 portraits to document our guests. :)

The full set of eight Polaroids is available here:
Key Party 3 - 2013 - a set on Flickr

Thanks for looking! Enjoy!

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a 25% crop of a scan from a 15 year old print of a Velvia slide. The fact that a photo can survive with such colours through all those processes says something about that film. I have to buy some Velvia again. Lots of Velvia :lecture:

OM-1 with Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.6 and Velvia

Godfrey

Waiting - Palo Alto 2013
Polaroid Spectra SE Onyx - Impossible Project "Silver Shade Cool" film
(scanned with iPad mini camera)

enjoy
G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Giovanni, The light and detail are superb!

Godfrey, Keep the Polaroids coming! I love that you scanned it with the camera on the ipad mini!

Godfrey

Giovanni, The light and detail are superb!

Godfrey, Keep the Polaroids coming! I love that you scanned it with the camera on the ipad mini!
Thanks Cindy! I used the Impossible Project app to 'scan' and do rectilinear correction on the print. Not bad! Of course, when the scanning jig for Spectra prints gets here, the results will be even nicer.

This was one of my first shots with the Polaroid Spectra. A wonderful camera ... I love working with the SX-70, but the Spectra is handier to work with; the SX-70's collapsible bellows arrangement often feels fragile. I like the Spectra SE so much I've hunted up a Minolta Spectra Pro which has an improved lens and the addition of adjustable manual focusing. (Polaroid sold the same camera a year later as well, just a bit of badge engineering.)

Fun fun fun. More Impossible film on the way ...

G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Godfrey, I downloaded the IP app, but have not used it. I have an Epson flatbed right next to my desk, so I have been using that to scan the Polaroids.

I have a Spectra2 and a Spectra AF. I prefer my SX-70 because of manual focusing, but sometimes it flares pretty bad in bright sun, and it does seem fragile. My SX-70 is an original Classic SX-70 from the beginning, before they put straps on them, so it is even more scary to not have a strap to hold onto. I had Matt Widmann of 2nd Shot check mine out, so it is working like new.

If someone is looking to try Polaroid, a Spectra might be the way to go. The Spectra 2, I've had for many years (since new), but I got the Spectra AF for less than cost of a pack of film, on Ebay. I've heard of the Minolta Spectra Pro, but have not tried it. I'll watch for your photos from it.

Godfrey

My scanner's right here too, but I was getting such bad Newton rings using it without the IP scanning jig that I don't even bother anymore. The jig for Spectra prints should be here this week, as well as some more film.

One of my SX-70s is the same as yours: no tripod mounting screw, no strap eyelets. The other is from about a year later and has both; that was my uncle's camera which he bought new in '73. I don't use straps on them anyway ... the straps are always getting in the way.

It's amazing how many models of these cameras, even of the higher end ones, Polaroid produced. The two Spectras that were given to me were both SE "Onyx" editions with the bronze translucent shell*on the top. You can see all the electronics in there ... how cool is that? ;-)

G

Godfrey

1938 Berning Robot II + Zeiss Biotar 40mm f/2
Rollei Superpan 200 + Orange filter, HC-110

Enjoy! Comments always appreciated.

G