The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

J

JohnW

I was prepping my recently deceased mother-in-law's house for sale last weekend, and found a Nikkormat FTn in a closet, along with a 200mm and 55 Micro.

The battery was dead, but the camera works fine without one. I ran a roll of XP2 through it. What a nice, solid camera.

John

J

JohnW

I'm still experimenting with film and the Nikkormat. Shots like this remind me what I miss about film; the delicate lighter tones, such as in her hat. Digital cameras - at least the ones I've owned - just don't offer this.

John

J

JohnW

Shashin, I'm really enjoying your postings. Your compositions are excellent and TMax and your processing are very beautiful.

I'm just dabbling in film for now, after 10+ years of digital only. Not sure whether or not I'll stick with it. But it's great to see such inspirational work, even though it's quiet as your settings must be, here in the backwoods of film.

John

Shashin

John and Johnny, thank you.

John, if you shot film and it is rewarding, then that is the best reason to do it. Ultimately, it is the results, the photographs, rather than the process. There is certainly lots of great digital B&W. Some folks click with the photo-chemical process, some don't.

chrism

I don't use the Fuji GA645 Pro very much, as it seems like it's cheating to have autofocus. Unfortunately even that can be defeated by poor light and a little movement! These ones weren't too bad - on HP5+, TMax developer, Imacon 848 scans:

Chris

chrism

I'm still fascinated by stand development, so I put some Tri-X in a Fuji GW690 and exposed it for ISO1600. 80 minutes in 1:100 Rodinal with five inversions at the start and two at the midpoint.

Rather less grain than using Diafine for 1600 Tri-X, but hardly smooth. I really ought to find a new battery for my lightmeter too.

Chris

chrism

Pentax SF1, SMC Pentax 35-70mm, Legacy Pro 400 (@400), Diafine, Imacon 848 scans:

And the old tree house I built for my son about twenty years ago:

He doesn't play in it much any more:

Chris

J

JohnW

Very nice, Chris. At web size and compression it's hard to tell the Pentax from the Fuji from the M7. Which do you most enjoy shooting with?

John