The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

Taken this morning with a Hasselblad 500c, Planar 80mm and Ektar 100. Developed with a Unicolor Presskit.

and converted to monochrome in LR with some heavy-handed work in the colour mixer to show it can be done (a result of a thread on another forum where I was pointing out that C-41 development is very easy and one could make a case for using C-41 colour film for monochrome pictures):

Chris

Godfrey

My week of Spectra shooting is over. Carried both the Minolta Instant Pro (filled with current Spectra B&W) and the Polaroid Spectra SE (filled with Silver Shade Cool). Very different films. It was fun.

Polaroid Spectra SE + Impossible Silver Shade Cool

I'll be posting a few more. :)

Godfrey

Minolta Instant Pro (aka Polaroid Spectra Pro)
Impossible Spectra B&W

This one made with the "clear-center, red surround" effects filter.

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Polaroid Spectra SE - Impossible Silver Shade Cool

PenSon

Small Technika with 6x9 film back. Rodenstock 90mm Heligon f2.8. Fuji Acros, stand develop 60 min Rodinal 1:100 20C. Aperture 5.6, time 1/5s.

Godfrey

Another selfie, a diptych, using the Polaroid Spectra Pro and a special effects filter. Impossible Spectra B&W...

chrism

Bessa III, XP2, Unicolor presskit, Nikon 9000 scan:

and one Hasselblad 500c with Ektar 100, Unicolor chemicals and a Nikon 9000 scan:

Sadly, I have had to ship my Flextight to New Jersey for repair and service. Expensive!

Chris

ReeRay

Chris.

You seem to be getting some wonderful results from XP2 and the Unicolor Press Kit. From what I read this developer kit is somewhat of a bitch to use, but clearly not in your hands. Can you elaborate somewhat on how you process.

TIA

Ray

chrism

Remember I'm speaking with the authority of one who has used it for about six months! The trick is to have the water bath maintain the temperature as closely as possible. 102F, with a long thermometer in the colour developer. It doesn't matter if the blix and the stabiliser are a bit cooler. Pre-warm the tank with the film in it in the same bath (it will have to be weighted down) and the presoak water should be at the same 102 degrees. Now I'm not very impressed with XP2 in C-41 chemicals! I can expose at 400 if I'm developing it that way, but the negatives have a little more grain and tend to be very flat. Quite a bit of PP needed after scanning. ISO 200 and stand development in Rodinal is far better. I did the XP2 above in the Unicolor kit as I was doing a Portra 400, and just put both films on the same spool. It really isn't hard to do and is well worth a try. A one litre kit costs about $20 and will give you an idea if you like it.

Chris

ReeRay

Hi Chris

I've been using Rodinal myself but was curious about Unicolor. Noting your response I'm about to order and give it a try.

Thanks again - appreciated

Ray

chrism

Ray,
It was this post that convinced me to try. It looked easy - and it is! I use a washing up bowl as a water bath rather than a bathtub, and stick to the temperature given in the Unicolor instructions. I bought three one litre 'accordion' bottles for the solutions, so that I can exclude air from them. My current batch was mixed in March and still works in July, but with one more film I will have reached the limit of eight 120 films for the one litre kit. Then I will mix up more! All those years since my teens I did B&W only in the belief that colour was difficult and required a Jobo processor....what a waste! Admittedly, I wouldn't bother if it weren't for the ability to scan the negatives. I still believe wet printing of colour negatives to be too hard for me to contemplate.

Chris

chrism

Second film of the day, this time Tri-X @1000 in Diafine, via the Nikon F6. The first three are scanned on a Nikon 9000, the last on a K-M 5400.

I am missing the Flextight! It is much quicker than these two backup scanners.

Chris

Last edited: