The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Francois_A

Wonderful shots with that Sinar Francois! I'd love to see a large print of the snow covered trees and lake image. I also really like this Ottawa museum image...I've always enjoyed architectural photography.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Thanks Gary!
Ottawa is a relatively small city with some nice architecture, and is quite photogenic with its river, waterfalls, canals, public parks and gardens. Let me know if you ever come to visit. :)

Regarding the 43 mm for the Mamiya 7, it would interesting, but somewhat unfair to compare it to the Pentax 45 mm, because the Mamiya has the advantage of being of symmetrical design instead of being a retrofocus lens; it also only focus down to 1 meter instead of 37 cm. Moreover, the Mamiya 7 produces no vibration being a rangefinder with the shutter in the lens.

The Mamiya has also very good flare resistance, and as Stuart mentioned, it has virtually no distortion.

The only problem I've found was composition: one has to use an external finder which gives an approximate view and has some distortion. I've often ended up with unlevelled horizons when used hand-held.

N

nei1

Stuart that mamiya lens looks great.Im going to try a little friendly rivalry over resolution though.This is a minox shot,8x11mm,that has been scanned at roughly 3000x2000 to produce the head shot at 100%.Which Im pretty sure means that the head shot has come from a half square millimetre of 25asa film.How does that compare?

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Neil, I have no idea. This is the best I can do:

That is a 100% crop from the Minolta Scan Multi Pro at either 3200 or 4800dpi, the film was agfa scala. As you can see, it is easy to make out the socks and type of clothing on a moving biker that is tiny in comparison to the image. I don't doubt that the Minox is higher resolution, but 8x11mm is a bit different than a lens that covers 6x7cm, particularly one that is a 21mm equivalent in 35mm!

I know this was not your intention, so don't take this the wrong way, but I did not mean this as a pissing contest. I just love the lens!

Francois_A

Just did a little scan on an Epson V700 of a Fuji Reala neg taken with the 43mm. Detail is 4x4 mm, so that would yield a 28"x35" enlargement at 250 dpi. Don't pay attention to the colours, they are terrible, and I lost the settings of the first scan when I did the detailed one! No doubt an Imacon would do much better.

N

nei1

Stuart,Id forgotton all about pissing contests, I know you wernt after one but thanks for joining in.My numbers are probably a bit out and it really dosent matter at all,but its just fun to see how much relevant detail there is in film.
Francois,great example,what a fine lens.I can understand why you both think so much of it,all the best,Neil.

bensonga

Stuart,Id forgotton all about pissing contests, I know you wernt after one but thanks for joining in.My numbers are probably a bit out and it really dosent matter at all,but its just fun to see how much relevant detail there is in film.
And I certainly didn't mean to start one either! It is amazing to see the detail in these film scan crops. Of course, always hard to separate out the contribution of various lens/camera, film and scanner impacts...but in any case, the results are impressive.

Francois,great example,what a fine lens.I can understand why you both think so much of it,all the best,Neil.
And I'll second that comment! :thumbs:

I do hope my recently acquired Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF will put up a good showing, once I get a chance to really give it a workout. I haven't had it out much yet (nor the 503CWD-II for that matter).

I might run a test of the Pentax 67/45mm lens combo against the Hasselblad 501CM/40mm lens combo using the same film. That should be a fair contest...more so than going up against the legendary Mamiya 7/43mm! ;)

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Stuart Richardson

No worries guys, I know that you were starting a contest, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was starting one!
Gary -- from what I have heard, the 40mm IF is astoundingly sharp, so it may beat the Mamiya in that respect. That said, it is supposed to have higher distortion than the previous 40mm, which in turn has more distortion than the 43mm. The justification for this is evidently digital -- distortion can be easily corrected, while sharpness can only be tweaked so much. The closest Hasselblad lens is the 38mm Biogon in the SWC. The 43mm is evidently an updated version of the original 10 element biogon for 4x5 cameras. At least that is what Ken Rockwell says, but he is not the most reliable source I think...
But Francois is right -- the Mamiya has an unfair advantage, particularly for distortion, given that it is a symmetrical wide angle. As such, it probably suffers from more vignetting than the 45mm pentax or other SLR wide angles, and it cannot focus as closely either. Personally, those are things I am happy to live with. I have never found the need to use it focused inside 2m or so, and vignetting does not bother me. I also have gotten used to external finders from working so much with rangefinders, and I am not so picky about exact composition to the edges of the frame. I would just crop if I had to. Overall, it is just a lens that really works for me. Other people might not fit the same mold.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Stuart: Smart Sharpen in PS is really good for deconvolving many scanner lenses, so is excellent IMO as part of the post-scan cleanup.

It's pretty telling that you can discern individual spokes in the front wheel. My experience is a 20x30 from the M7 allows tons of visual exploration and I love it for urban scapes. You've probably seen this before, of Jodpur, India, shot with the 150mm.

1" @ 30x40:

I love stuff like this, where you can stick your nose to the print and spend hours exploring a moment in time. There's a lot going on in this shot, from a country where much of life still happens in public view.

Francois_A

WOW! Jan, this is amazingly rich in details. The dynamic range is huge, and yet there is no clipping of shadows or highlights.

I doubt any digital back could have handled such a scene with comparable results.

What kind of film and scanner did you use?

Thanks,

Francois

bensonga

WOW! Jan, this is amazingly rich in details. The dynamic range is huge, and yet there is no clipping of shadows or highlights.

I doubt any digital back could have handled such a scene with comparable results.

Thanks,

Francois
I agree with Francois....that is an amazing shot of the cityscape. Here's another case in which I sure wish we could see the full resolution image or print...to explore that visual detail.

Re the bicyclist....it's probably my 55 year old eyes, but I just don't see those front wheel spokes.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Ok, here's a contribution from my collection of Mamiya images. :)

This was my first medium format camera....a Mamiya C220 TLR. I think this was taken with the 80mm lens. A terrific camera, IMHO. Still have it...can't think of the last time I actually used it. :(

Negative was scanned years ago on my trusty old Epson 2450 flat bed.

Anchorage Port area (no longer accessible to the general public...for security reasons, of course).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Francois_A

Beautiful shot Gary!

Square images are sometimes static, but the big tire in the foreground adds dynamism, and makes the composition nicely proportioned.

N

nei1

Great shot and well printed Gary.
This is a polaroid that I took this morning with the minolta image pro camera.

Such a shame this is coming to an end.

Last edited:
N

nei1

This ,also taken this morning,a retry from a previous attempt,from the other side of the plants.

the actual polaroids look a little nicer than these scans,the contrast seems higher and thats affected the colours a little.

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Tmax-100 and undiluted, stock XTOL. Scanned on my Imacon. It's only 3200 dpi (though pretty well defined), and now that I have a beefier computer I might try scanning it as 3 24x70 stripes at higher resolution using the 135 strip holder, and then stitch it back together with PS CS4's Photomerge. That's not as easy as it sounds though, I suspect I'd need to create some sort of jig to obtain sufficiently accurate alignment.

jlm

Workshop Member
you guys are getting me inspired. i may dig out a few 2-1/4 chestnuts from the old days and light up the scanner

fotografz

Tmax-100 and undiluted, stock XTOL. Scanned on my Imacon. It's only 3200 dpi (though pretty well defined), and now that I have a beefier computer I might try scanning it as 3 24x70 stripes at higher resolution using the 135 strip holder, and then stitch it back together with PS CS4's Photomerge. That's not as easy as it sounds though, I suspect I'd need to create some sort of jig to obtain sufficiently accurate alignment.
Depending on which films, scanning a 6X6+ frame over 3200 dpi and you'll just be scanning grain. My 949 only goes to 3200 for MF also. The files are already huge. I had a MF 4800 dpi dedicated scanner once ... it took forever to scan at that resolution, and the files were no better than @ 3200. Big waste of time.

viablex1

This ,also taken this morning,a retry from a previous attempt,from the other side of the plants.

the actual polaroids look a little nicer than these scans,the contrast seems higher and thats affected the colours a little.
not quite over as of yet

www.polapremium.com

they just released some more spectra film..

N

nei1

Thanks for the link Viablex 1,have been there before but the soft version is new to me,the price is new too!Has to be expected though,it will always be worth it.Wether I can afford it is another question.I have 8 packs left.