The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

chrism

Pentax 645n, 120mm/f4, XP2 @200, Rodinal 1+100, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Longhouse by chrism229, on Flickr

Pentax 645n, 45mm/f2.8, XP2 @200, Rodinal 1+100, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Wagonwheel by chrism229, on Flickr

I think I will try the next roll at ISO 320, as these all seemed to be 1/2 to 1 stop overexposed.

At a minimum, the 645n is 15 years old, and there are no spare parts available for repairs any more, and having renewed my love affair with Pentax medium format lenses, I have been thinking long and hard about a 645z, but today I came to a decision—get a 645nii from eBay so that even if my 645n dies I have a replacement.

Chris

chrism

I would never have tried it but for an odd thing - I discovered one remaining roll of 120 Velvia in the freezer, so I decided to buy another E-6 kit and seven more rolls of slide film to use up the eight film capacity. Argentix, where I buy such things in Canada, only had the Crossbird in stock, so I ordered seven rolls, but they only had six, so Jacques threw in two 35x36 rolls for free that had expired in January. Can't complain about that!

It's made for cross-processing, and actually says on the containers that it is colour negative film and to process in C-41. I suppose this is to reassure the guys at a lab that it is OK to process it that way. When developed in E-6 it has a distinctive yellow/green cast still, but this can be eliminated with a little touch of the WB sliders once it has been scanned. It's also a bit grainy.

Given that we can cross-process slide films, I wonder if there has ever been research into making a film that developed in C-41 gives colour negatives (I've never done it, but I'm guessing that cross-processed slide film comes out as negatives), and developed in E-6 gives colour positives, and in each case has normal colour reproduction? I assume if I ran a colour negative film through the E-6 chemicals I would get a positive image, but with crazy colours. Somehow I must resist the urge to experiment with things when someone else already knows the answers!

Chris

chrism

Pentax 645N, 120mm/f4, Fuji Velvia 100, Argentix E6 kit, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Blue Sea Landing 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

Pentax 645NII, 45mm/f2.8, Rollei Crossbird 200, Argentix E6 kit, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Blue Sea Landing 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

I didn't expect to be saying this, but I prefer the Rollei film for colour rendition, but it is much more grainy than the Fuji. Oh, well, I don't expect to do any more E6 after my one remaining roll of Rollei Crossbird.

Chris

bensonga

It has been awhile since I posted any photos on this thread. Went out with a group of friends last weekend for a "film only" day of shooting. I took one of my favorite medium format film cameras, the Pentax 67. I actually brought two of them...a P67 loaded with B&W (Acros 100) and a P67II loaded with color (Provia 100). Mostly shot with my 105/2.4 and 55-110/5.6 lenses. Shot more film in 4 hours than I have shot in many, many months. Four rolls total. Sent the film for the first time to The Darkroom. I had them process and scan each roll at their highest resolution (for an uncut roll)...the "Superscan", which for the P67 gave me scanned images that were ~5900x4800 pixels. Enough for a 13x19 inch print. I was VERY happy with the quick service and results. I got an e-mail when they received the film (3 days after I mailed it) and the next day another e-mail saying they had processed and scanned the film and the images were ready for me to download. Amazing! I think I will be shooting more film in the coming months and years, now that I have found a lab which produces good results and excellent scans at reasonable prices.

Here are a couple of the shots which I have already printed.

Gary Benson

P67II, 55-110mm lens, Provia 100

P67, 105mm lens, Acros 100, process in SilverEfex Pro

bensonga

A couple more shots from the same day.

Gary

Pentax 67, 55-110 lens, Fuji Acros 100, processing and scanning by The Darkroom, SilverEfex Pro

chrism

Too busy with manual labour to go out and take new photos today, so tonight I scanned some old ones. These were taken in May 1980 in Minorca, with a Pentax K1000, FP4 (maybe there was no + in those days), developed by a lab in Brighton called Paragon, and now scanned on the X1:

San Carlos 1981 by chrism229, on Flickr

Tomato and bread by chrism229, on Flickr

Tomato by chrism229, on Flickr

Pippa 1980 by chrism229, on Flickr

You all know she is still my favorite subject, so what can I say? I am still helplessly in love!

Chris