The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

PeterA

Hi William ( from memory) I think it was made with my original H1 and film back.

The XPan is my favourite 'street shooter' - a must have camera I reckon!

yours and Stuart's postings encouraged me to shoot a coupel of rolls on the weekend - first time in years..

please keep posting your wonderful shots!

( PS - how do I link from Flickr to here?)

Stuart Richardson

Great photos guys.
William -- love the color and the presence of the gaze in that photo.

Peter -- nice shots. I love seeing the Xpan on the street. Something cool about it.

Here are two old ones:

A more recent one:

And the banal...my kitchen.

Stuart Richardson

Sorry Peter,

I meant to tell you that I do not know how to link from flickr. I do not use it. These are linked from my own website.

You hotlink images here by writing

[ img ] then the url then [ /img ]

Just remove the space between the brackets and the text.

emmawest72

PeterA: wonderful Xpan stuff. As you said, the Xpan is really the über street cam. However,the last pic (blotched one) is my favorite. The intense look through the haze is really something.

Stuart: fantastic use of xpan. first shot is a clear winner to me. This is going to give me a real xpan hitch...ouch..

Cheers

emmawest72

t@ - will try ..the HTML doesnt work on here like I am used to..

Peter,

click on one of your flickr photos and select all sizes. Select the approriate size and at the bottom you can find the URl of the pic. Copy that and then paste it using insert image button as seen above.

Hope this helps.

PeterA

Another great shot William. Funny how compelling film is isnt it? You get to use the full neg size for which teh lenses were designed - and I have become a total 6X6 fan!

Digi just doesnt have the film look when it comes to peopel shots - especially in B&W.

Pete

emmawest72

Peter,

I really enjoy using film. I like the unknown and the suprises (bad and good) that sometimes comes out. I also find that I tend to pay much more attention to what is going on in front of me and I really try to find that special little moment when everything just comes together. This doesn't happen all the time and sometimes I miss shots because I'm too slow focusing the hassy. But in the end it doesn't matter because there will always be something else,sooner or later...
I would have so much more to say about using film but I'm afraid I will bore most of ou about my ramblings...

Look forward to seeing more of your film work.
Cheers
W.

PeterA

Peter,

I really enjoy using film. I like the unknown and the suprises (bad and good) that sometimes comes out. I also find that I tend to pay much more attention to what is going on in front of me and I really try to find that special little moment when everything just comes together. This doesn't happen all the time and sometimes I miss shots because I'm too slow focusing the hassy. But in the end it doesn't matter because there will always be something else,sooner or later...
I would have so much more to say about using film but I'm afraid I will bore most of ou about my ramblings...

Look forward to seeing more of your film work.
Cheers
W.
William,

I enjoy genuine enthusiasm from photographers so I never get bored or bothered reading peoples genuine responses to the medium. I am very grateful that I can still buy 120 film. I think film - especially B&W makes for special people shots and teh hasselblad experience with that shallow depth of field on 6X6 allows for a gentle fade away in teh background - mor eliek writing than photography! LOL

Cheers
Pete

helenhill

Fab shot Peter
William your always spot on in creating a Mood

Stuart want your Kitchen Light...love the reflection in the ceiling

Francois_A

Very nice images by William, Stuart and Peter!

William, I share your enthusiasm for film. I find the visceral and kinesthetic connection with a manual film camera more conductive to contemplative photography. I think it was Brett Weston who suggested that to improve our vision, we should simplify our equipment!

BTW, there is a nice article on Bruce Barnbaum's web site regarding the pertinence of film in this digital age: http://www.barnbaum.com/thoughts.html

Cheers!

Francois

emmawest72

Thanks Francois.

I agree with Brett Weston. My first photographic years were spent wanting more lenses,cameras,etc only to realise that I spent more time thinking about the material instead of what was going on in front of me.
I also spent some considerable amount of time looking over my contact sheets and slides and that's when I realised that all the pictures that I really liked were taken by either 35mm or 50mm. I sold a lot of super duper zooms and unnecessary crap and got myself 1 cam ( konica hexar 35mm). What a joy !

Of course I missed certain kinds of pics( too far away, focus misses,etc)but the ones I got are still some of my favorites. THe hexar was stolen and then I got a 2nd hand m4-2 with a used 35mm and 50mm which I still use today after almost 10 years of constant use. For my mediumformat I have one lens for each system, 80mm for hassy and 105mm for pentax67 and that will be enough. I prefer to buy film to feed them and I seem to get distracted when i have to many lenses to choose from :)

However I'm not perfect.... as I now also have a dslr with a 1 zoom + a few manual primes which is mostly used for some work and kids going skateboarding,etc. It is great in its own way specially playing with wireless flash system (nikon). But nothing beats the pleasure of going out with a 35 or 50mm prime and a few rolls of film and then editing the contact sheet. Very liberating, imho.

Bon weekend !
W.

PeterA

H1 and the (underrated)HC80 - felt like a couple of happy snaps to post - the fire down here are ugly.

Last edited:

helenhill

GDI ...Great series
thought I recognized that Coney Island State of Mind

'Shoot the Freak' this past Summer ...M4
(sorry that its an M for this thread :grin: but couldn't resist)