The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Stuart Richardson

Well, I hope that works out. I like polaroid on 4x5, but really only type 54 -- the problem is that if I am going to be using such a huge camera, I at least want a picture larger than 4x5 inches! That's why type 54 with the built in negative was so great -- you got a nice print, as well as a fantastic, super fine grained negative. The only issue was that it was expensive, messy, you needed a sodium sulfite solution on hand to wash the negs, and they were very prone to scratches. Ok, I guess maybe I am starting to remember why polaroid went out of business...but the results were beautiful!

PeterA

Hi Stuart,

Yeah, the 110/f2 is really something special. Too bad they don't make one for the 500 series...

The poladroid is quite fun indeed. I recently saw that some pola fan decided to take over the pola factory in Holland and will try to makeit worthwhile with new techniques. Let's hope it works out as I'm a big fan myself. I will borrow a 4x5 camera soon and plan to buy some Fuji polaroid to try it out. I will of course be putting quite some amount of tri-x and portra through it too!!

Cheers
W.
Good to see more photographs done right - with B&W film!

William I have 3 copies of the 110/2. Two in F ( long story) and now one in Rollie mount. If you ever pickup a 200 series body or a focal plane body with an adaptor..I am happy to sell you one of my F versions at a good price- because I know you will love using it. It is my favourite lens wide open and renders beautifully as Stuart suggests, stopped down.

Pete

emmawest72

Pete,

Thanks for that. I will see if I can find a 200 series for a decent price as i really love the look of that 110mm.

Cheers
Wil

Stuart Richardson

I've never shot with the 100mm f/3.5, but maybe that is similar. It is slower, and supposedly the sharpest standard lens on the 500 series. I would guess that given the fact that it is also a planar and pretty close to 110mm, that it will render very similarly to the 110/2 (at least when it is used at f/4 or smaller). Obviously the 110/2 has a look at f/2 that cannot be fully be replaced, but part of the magic of the 110/2 is the angle of view combined with the bokeh it produces. Hopefully the angle of view of the 100mm is close enough, and the planar design is close enough to create a similar look.

helenhill

Love those nei1 -- what are you shooting with? Old polaroid? Or does fuji make film that fits in it? There is something special about the instant film palette.

Well, it has been great here for the past two weeks -- just under freezing, clear, and snow on the ground with very little wind. Normally at this time of year it is one degree above freezing, sleeting and blowing at 50mph (20+m/s).
So I went to the beach with my friend Eva from my Icelandic classes and took some pictures. All 203FE and 110/2 on Acros in ID-11 (my xtol is dead and rodinal has not arrived!)

She's Beautiful & Cool shots, Stuart...Hopefully Girlfriend material...:)
Wouldn't that be Sweet!

N

nei1

Thanks stuart,its fresh film,polaroid image dated until july.You can still buy it from jessops in england.

emmawest72

Pete,

I got so exicted about that 110/2 lens that I forgot that I have a brilliant 105/2.4 lens for my Pentax 67 so I think I will stay with that for the moment. Sorry about all that confusion...

Are you shooting the 110mm on film only or have you also used it on digi? I would be curious to see if you keep this magic on a digi back or if really only sings on a full frame film back.

Cheers
Wil

Stuart Richardson

I use it on both film and digital. I have not shot as many nice photos on digital, but that is a function of me, not the lens. If you will excuse it in this thread, here are a few samples. I think it is still nice on digital. I have been using the hassie more this winter though, as the digital back I use is too slow to use outside with ease in the dark winter here.

PeterA

Hi William it is a hassle to buy a body to use a lens - I agree! LOL

ok I have this example with the 110/2 FE shot on my modified to use with CFV11 back 205TCC.

You can also use these lenses on any body which can take a Hasselblad to whatever adapter ( eg Contax/Mamiya 645)

I like the way it renders the OOF areas whilst maintaining 'POP' in focus.

On the weekend I am going to try my newly acquired Rollie mount version - wow it is much larger...

Cheers
Pete

Pete,

I got so exicted about that 110/2 lens that I forgot that I have a brilliant 105/2.4 lens for my Pentax 67 so I think I will stay with that for the moment. Sorry about all that confusion...

Are you shooting the 110mm on film only or have you also used it on digi? I would be curious to see if you keep this magic on a digi back or if really only sings on a full frame film back.

Cheers
Wil

Stuart Richardson

This is one from last week I believe. This is the visitor's sign for the Þingvellir national park...it is the meeting point of the North American and European continental plates, and it is was also the scene of one of Europe's first parliament...they started meeting there in 930 ad. Anyway, the current political situation here has led to a lot of vandalism and social statements. I found this one particularly inspired...a drunk, fat and disabled viking. Surely an "oh how we have fallen" lament....that said, they don't lop off nearly as many heads as they used to.
A closer look:

jonoslack

From around 2000
I think it was taken with a Contax RX . . . but I'm really not sure.

It's amazing how people don't change (he was wonderful then, and he's wonderful now, but he does'nt look quite like this:ROTFL:)

Stuart Richardson

Nice shot Jono -- funny to see mini-discs -- I loved them around that time, but they have completely gone the way of the dodo...

Here are a few from this weekend. There was a very subdued light this weekend at Hvalfjordur...calm, around 5C...felt like spring is coming.
All 110/2 or 50/2.8 FE. Film is E100G and Acros in FX-39 (first time with that developer).

I had gone out to photograph with my friend Malte. Unfortunately, I was not paying attention when loading the black and white roll. I forgot to advance the film back. So 10 shots turned into 2.5. I am angry, because I think I would have liked some of the shots I took of him.

Would it have been good?

Stuart Richardson

No Pete, not yet. It is about 10 dollars a roll for 120 here, and it comes back covered in dust and crap. I just bought an E6 kit from them (Fuji...6 step), and I am looking for a Jobo. Some guy just responded to a classified I have here, saying he has a CPA-2...hopefully it is in good shape. I may get that, otherwise I will try to get a new CPP-2 from Germany.