The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A little nostalgia

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Stashed away in the vacant apartment in my barn are 40 or 50 boxes of old prints, slides, and negatives from the 1970s to early 80s. I haven't looked at them for years and don't intend to. But I did stumble on one 5x7 box of proof prints that managed to end up in the attic somehow.

The prints are from a roll I shot with a Leica R5 (6?) while I was working as a printer in the photo department of a teaching hospital. The gear locker was stuffed with lots of shiny things and we could borrow them for our personal use. I worked making prints all day and when things were slow, I'd make quick and dirty 5x7 "proofs" of each frame rather than make contact sheets. Just slide the film through the slotted carrier on the focomat IIc and bang off an exposure for a handful of frames.

I can remember very clearly the overcast day I wandered around my neighborhood in the south end of Hartford, CT with the Leica SLR. I had never used the camera before and remember how odd it felt in my hands compared to the more familiar Nikon.

These are nothing special and the scans are made with a $150 refurbished Epson scanner I use for line art. But it's amazing what looking at them dredges up.

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Way cool Tim! I have a similar set of boxes, however the thought of dredging though them... well, let's just say I'd rather try and make new one while I still can :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack. Yeah, some of that stuff in those boxes is better imagined than witnessed again. I agree looking forward is better (and safer). ;)

PeterA

Isn't this the best aspect of photography? I think so. My long term project is scanning a few generations of both sides of the family worth of old prints and negatives and slides. My wife's grandfather was an avid photographer with a little darkroom in his shed and traveled around early outback Australia with his wife and took wonderful snaps.

Important family stuff I always shoot in film - as a storage medium it is very difficult to beat IMHO - it has lasted generations.

Nice post.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Peter and Helen. I was very surprised to see this old thread re-emerge (December of '08!) An odd parallel for the topic itself. :thumbup: