The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anybody shooting more film than digital?

I still shoot a lot of film. Throughout last year, I picked a different film camera each month and made sure to get out and shoot it. You can see the results on my blog, on the "Skeletons From The Closet" tab. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I send my film to The Darkroom for processing, then scan my favs at home on my Epson V700. It's a stretch for a flatbed scanner on 35mm, but it works. I also shoot a lot of medium format, and a little 4x5.

This year, I'm playing around with dedicating my Leica M4-2 to black and white (sort of an analog Leica Monochrom), and shooting a lot with my favorite Nikon film SLRs (F2 comes to mind first, FM2 next). This is my way of being happy without a Df (at least yet).

I also shoot plenty of digital, but film is a big part of my enjoyment. I even enjoy the anticipation of that email from The Darkroom saying my scans are ready...

Come by my blog and check it out. I try to keep it interesting and write often. Just entering my third year with it.

Reed
My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Not as my main medium, but more and more. I don't shoot 35mm film, but there is a look to MF film that I cannot get digitally (at least at prices that I can justify). Most of my personal work is now shot with a Fuji GX680 or my Dad's Pentacon Six. Paid work is mainly digital, though.

4season

IME, GAS can strike at any time and any place, and shooting film does not protect you; at best it may reduce tempation due to lack of anything new to buy.

How I deal with it:

--I stay out of the camera store unless I intend to buy something, and I avoid trying out new equipment that I wasn't planning on buying.

--I avoid most blogs and forums which are heavily gear-centric. This eliminates about 85% of my distractions. Sorry to say that I miss postings by some of the more prolific writers, but I think they have problems of their own. :D

Realize too that next year, all of today's products will be "last year's model". How to get a 60% discount? Just wait awhile.

johnnygoesdigital

Don't let my username fool you, as I shoot lots of film too! I don't always feel as connected to my art when shooting digital, but you can't argue with the convenience. Although, for me the Fujifilm XT1 is the closet camera to merging those two mediums, perhaps the dials and tactile feel are part of the reason-it also serves as a good spot meter for film. There are some really talented Photoshop users who can achieve fantastic results with digital, but for me, it feels like cheating as anything handcrafted such as silver gelatin or platinum holds more value for me personally. Platinum is also the most archival process of all mediums.Prices for film gear makes GAS slightly easier to pass then digital obsolescence. Incredibly good Mamiya RZ lenses can be had for $150 or so. I shoot/develop large format and find the experience is so rewarding towards the final print. Companies like Freestyle photo, BH, ilford and Fujifilm provide lots of stock and chemistry. With a little practice developing E6, C41, is as straight forward as b/w. Try taking a photo of the same thing using both digital and film and do what's necessary to achieve the desired result. For me, it's always the film photo that has more character, perhaps because of the effort, but more for as Cindy Flood points out, the dynamic range and tonality.
I shoot digital for turnaround, but choose film for hanging on a gallery wall.