The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX 680III Update

danielmoore

Thank you Jorgen. I'd love to have a hand strap just for the sake of moving it about. I bet some heavy duty wire could be fashioned into a suitable suspenders-like clip.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why not ask John Milich? Whether it would be cost effective, I don't know. But he could certainly do it.

--Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can fashion something usable I think.

Here's something for the man who has everything:
http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/2006-2/2745-2

Does anyone have a favorite filter system for the 680?
That was a very cool device! The most important point with the strap, at least for me, has been to have something to lift the camera by when shooting on location. I think I'll have to add a handle like that to my growing collection of GX680 accessories :)

Any idea about the price?

danielmoore

None, I'm afraid. I just don't want to pay someone to make something I can make, even if it's not as perfect. The design solves a problem of not rubbing on the body, as does the strap clip design apparently, buy being held away from the body. That's key. I want something like that for the only reason you mentioned. It's a bit clumsy to try and wrap your hands around. Sure, plenty of gripping points but nothing ergonomic for plain old moving about.

danielmoore

My trusty Manfrotto 410 head is a bit weak at the knees under the beast. Hmmm.. Chance it? I think I will. Budget minded advice anyone?
The RRS TVC34L it's parked on doesn't show any weakness.

Gary, I hope none of this talk becomes thread jacking. Please say so if it is. I figured we're all just pitching in the cause.

GaryAyala

I think a short strap to be used as a handle would be very useful. I'm thinking of trying out some loop connectors.

GaryAyala

My trusty Manfrotto 410 head is a bit weak at the knees under the beast. Hmmm.. Chance it? I think I will. Budget minded advice anyone?
The RRS TVC34L it's parked on doesn't show any weakness.

Gary, I hope none of this talk becomes thread jacking. Please say so if it is. I figured we're all just pitching in the cause.
Not at all. It is all good. You guys are extremely helpful.

danielmoore

You might have nailed it, Gary. I've got the optech strap and there's just enough hole size in that loop to pass the connector though, thereby knotting and locking it. Nice. A self tightening connector. I believe the weight won't be an issue until the snaps get old.
I don't think the mini version would be required to get a secure fit. The Uniloop should compress enough.

I'll report back on it's success.

danielmoore

Today I broke out a simple shutter speed tester and I have to say, the electronic shutter does one helluva job. I only have the 100mm f/4 at this point but it's looking to be crazy accurate. It's like one pleasant surprise after another with this thing.

While I'm at it, the Tenergy CR123A rechargeables I'm using are doing great. I started testing how long they'd last (room temperature) and I ran out of juice while they still show full charge. Not exactly scientific but one more concern abated.

I did work up a nice 16' 9 volt DC adapter that works a charm as well. I used a 1100mA power supply and it seems adequate. Still needs batteries in the film back to retain it's setting and fire as well. No batteries in the body works fine with the external DC supply.

Last edited:

danielmoore

BTW- A back finally came in today!!!! So now I can actually exposure a roll of film.
Note that the film backs have a nifty dark slide holder built in into both the front and the back, for storage : )

Also, if you just want to test the system, you only need to open the film back door and slip out the dark slide to fire the shutter.

GaryAyala

Note that the film backs have a nifty dark slide holder built in into both the front and the back, for storage : )

Also, if you just want to test the system, you only need to open the film back door and slip out the dark slide to fire the shutter.
I battery-ied up ... pulled the dark slide ... and Viola! She fires.

danielmoore

Yes, please let us know Gary if it's a go with that strap. I am rather lifted by the beautiful engineering of the Fuji strap but something has to give here. : ) For you Imperialists, I measure .152" for the strap pin.

I keep meaning to R-The-F'ing-M but discovering it's nuances has been fun on it's own. The hot shoe is hot, btw. That was a fun experiment. It worked with the simpler/older flashes. Not my SB-700. I plan to stop experimenting with flash and stick to radio triggers. Better safe than sorry.

Jorgen, you don't happen to have an AC adapter for it do you? I'm wondering if my DIY adapter is providing ample power. I've stopped using it until I find out for sure. The amperage rating would be very helpful to know.

I bought a rather expensive remote cable release and once it arrives I will hopefully contrive my own version and sell that back to the world (intact, of course : ). I really don't like the bulk of it.

Last edited:

danielmoore

My 410 head isn't cutting it. I'm not ready to spend on a cube. The 405 I think will suffice. Any other advice on a proper tripod head for the beast? I'm a geared man, don't want to go back to pan/tilt, ever. Sorta limits my options. D4's are out too unless I could find a used one this week : ).

Several of us over at the large format photography forum (www.largeformatphotography.info) have been working on stitching DSLR based film scanners. Here's a brief view of my entry, and how I have been scanning for a while now. Better than 5000 spi with a D7100, slightly less with my D800E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXy7RJwIBAo&list=UUh6MO6PQ27coWAsYVG27aiA

A work in progress.

My colleague Peter De Smidt's conception is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRHTausFls&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: