The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX 680III Update

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No, I have considered buying the adapter, but they go for $150+, and other stuff has had higher priority. I'm using the AA battery box on the standard body, which works fine, but for the "S" body, I go with the expensive batteries.

danielmoore

Thanks, Jorgen.

All we need are those specs and it becomes a 10 dollar affair. The camera even displays the proper polarity, along with 9V right under the extra battery cover.

The thing lives on tiny batteries. Almost any common 9V power supply would probably work.

danielmoore

I only now discovered that if you use the quick adjustment knob on the 410, you can actually make it very stiff by rotating it against the quick release direction. I think I might be OK. It's a big difference. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

foveon

My 410 head isn't cutting it. I'm not ready to spend on a cube. The 405 I think will suffice. Any other advice on a proper tripod head for the beast? I'm a geared man, don't want to go back to pan/tilt, ever. Sorta limits my options. D4's are out too unless I could find a used one this week : ).

Several of us over at the large format photography forum (A large format photography home page) have been working on stitching DSLR based film scanners. Here's a brief view of my entry, and how I have been scanning for a while now. Better than 5000 spi with a D7100, slightly less with my D800E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXy7RJwIBAo&list=UUh6MO6PQ27coWAsYVG27aiA

A work in progress.

My colleague Peter De Smidt's conception is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRHTausFls&feature=youtu.be
Dont get the point, you run your film through a Bayer-sensor, a real scanner uses a sensor with real RGB values for each pixel, so what is the advantage?

GaryAyala

Yes, please let us know Gary if it's a go with that strap. I am rather lifted by the beautiful engineering of the Fuji strap but something has to give here. : ) For you Imperialists, I measure .152" for the strap pin.

I keep meaning to R-The-F'ing-M but discovering it's nuances has been fun on it's own. The hot shoe is hot, btw. That was a fun experiment. It worked with the simpler/older flashes. Not my SB-700. I plan to stop experimenting with flash and stick to radio triggers. Better safe than sorry.

Jorgen, you don't happen to have an AC adapter for it do you? I'm wondering if my DIY adapter is providing ample power. I've stopped using it until I find out for sure. The amperage rating would be very helpful to know.

I bought a rather expensive remote cable release and once it arrives I will hopefully contrive my own version and sell that back to the world (intact, of course : ). I really don't like the bulk of it.
I've never really shot a camera as complex (tilts and swings) as the 680. So this is all new territory for me. I accidentally discovered the camera body batteries by leafing through the manual. My digital camera manuals are dusty ... but I think I need to do some serious reading for this beast.

GaryAyala

No, I have considered buying the adapter, but they go for $150+, and other stuff has had higher priority. I'm using the AA battery box on the standard body, which works fine, but for the "S" body, I go with the expensive batteries.
I tried old rechargeables in the AA box, the LCD lite up for about a second then died. I think I need better batteries.

GaryAyala

My 410 head isn't cutting it. I'm not ready to spend on a cube. The 405 I think will suffice. Any other advice on a proper tripod head for the beast? I'm a geared man, don't want to go back to pan/tilt, ever. Sorta limits my options. D4's are out too unless I could find a used one this week : ).

Several of us over at the large format photography forum (A large format photography home page) have been working on stitching DSLR based film scanners. Here's a brief view of my entry, and how I have been scanning for a while now. Better than 5000 spi with a D7100, slightly less with my D800E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXy7RJwIBAo&list=UUh6MO6PQ27coWAsYVG27aiA

A work in progress.

My colleague Peter De Smidt's conception is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRHTausFls&feature=youtu.be
I tossed the beast on my Markins Ball. Seems okay. We'll see how well it works in the field.

danielmoore

I finally found an image of the AC power supply, showing it to be 9V 2A. It seemed fine with my 1.1A adapter but I'm not going to push that anymore.

danielmoore

My instant film back came in today. Rummaging through some boxes I found an unopened pack of FP-100B, discontinued a few years ago it seems. The was framed vertically, the back does not rotate so imagine the 'wings' (formed by the actual shape of the opening in the camera back) being cropped off.

It's a lot of unused area but what can you do. I thought it might be edifying for new comers to the camera.

This is a 100mm f/4 wide open, with a bellows factor of +2/3, which I would have happily ignored but for Danny Burk's write up. : )

FUJI BELLOWS EXTENSION

The light was rather dim, heavy rain outside, this was a 1.6 sec exposure before compensating, to give you an idea of the light level. I removed the waist level viewfinder and used a 4x loupe and focusing was a breeze, snapping easily into focus, nothing like my experiences with 4x5. I love working with this camera.

GaryAyala

I been using these to connect to a strap.

It works, but I don't have a lot of confidence that the loops will not loosen up and slip off. I use the strap very carefully. If I didn't have the other strap coming, I'd jimmy-up a clip/clasp/tie to keep the loop from loosening.

danielmoore

You're probably already do so, but passing the clip through the loop first will create a self tightening knot. Even with that, I can see it not being fool proof. A metal clip with a jamming system is surely the way to go. It won't take much to jam it, a simple 3D printed part should suffice.

GaryAyala

As we know the 680 is one heavy sucker. One of the fitting slipped out today, but it may have been because it wasn't fully engaged. I did a lot of walking around and some climbing on some rocks with no problems after I reconnected the fitting.

danielmoore

Sounds promising.

I took receipt of a 65mm today. 4lbs 2 oz. Oh man.

How are you transporting the beast? I'm still looking for a backpack solution I like.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've used a Think Thank Airport Addicted v2.0 so far, but it's really only suitable for the "S" version and it's not comfortable to carry for an extended period of time. The problem with most backpacks is that they are too shallow. However, F-Stop is introducing a new backpack designed for cine cameras these days. It's not cheap, but this may be the solution I've been looking for. I'll drop them a mail and ask how deep the insert is.

Introducing the Shinn: Our First Cine-Camera Carry Solution | f-stop