The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultra lenses on film cameras

In the digital world, sensor improvement has "demanded" better lenses... Otis, etc.

Do these ultra lenses offer any benefit to the 35mm film shooter?

Both opinion and actual experience observations welcome.

Oren Grad

Depends what one is trying to accomplish with 35mm. It's not hard to imagine scenarios in which the advantages offered by a particular new lens should be visible and useful.

But in my own practice, 35mm film is for working quick-and-easy. When I want to push the envelope on technical quality, I use larger formats rather than trying to impose meticulous shot discipline on 35mm. Also, I'm not currently perceiving any problems in my 35mm work that would be solved by a new, cutting edge lens. So I don't feel much urge to spend the $$$$ to replace my existing lenses for 35mm with the latest and greatest; my photography budget is better spent elsewhere.

Now that I think about it, the only digital-era lens that I've used on 35mm film is the EF 40/2.8 pancake that I bought for my EOS 6D. I've used it on a 1V with film, too; it's a nice lens, all around. But that lens is as affordable as they come, and the reason I bought it was the combination of focal length, size and value for money, not a search for cutting-edge optical performance.

And yet, many on this forum went for the best glass... even when film ruled the day. In more than a few cases they let that dictate the camera system choice. Did they get no benefit... but a good feeling... for doing so?