The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon F6 - Finally Gone?

O

Oxide Blu

Been cruising around websites looking at Nikon F6 info. Seems it may now officially be gone? Sold out in many places, no support listed on Nikon's web pages, tho Nikon does still have the F6 listed.

I guess it is safe to say the camera some folks considered the apex of 35mm SLR design, Nikon's F6, has been retired with nothing to replace it. Gosh, I'm starting to think this digital thing just might catch on.

fotografz

Been cruising around websites looking at Nikon F6 info. Seems it may now officially be gone? Sold out in many places, no support listed on Nikon's web pages, tho Nikon does still have the F6 listed.

I guess it is safe to say the camera some folks considered the apex of 35mm SLR design, Nikon's F6, has been retired with nothing to replace it. Gosh, I'm starting to think this digital thing just might catch on.
My treasure. LOVE the F6 !!!!! I outfitted it with a split prism and fiewfinder mag and shoot the ZF lens set with it. Focus confirmation, quick. Just love the feel of it ... more than any of my Nikon digital cameras.

As my pal Irakly quipped, it's a "real camera" isn't it? :thumbs:

If it goes bye-bye then I'm super happy I got one.

A perennial topic, but I saw a photo of it and the FM10 on display at Nikon's PMA booth this past week (Ken Rockwell's site?). That would seem to indicate the death notice is a bit premature. Live for the moment- I love mine.

O

Oxide Blu

The F6 body is MSRP $2810.

B&H is sold out, no expectation of getting anymore.
Adorama does not list it for sale at all.
Amazon has it listed for $3737.99 from a 3rd party.

Me thinks we are seeing the end of the F6, the end of the F6 sell off, and then no more.

I was looking around at prices, wondering if I should pick up one. Maybe that's a decision I have to make sooner rather than later.

D

DougDolde

They are still available on Ebay. Personally I can't imagine using 35mm film. Medium format maybe.

fotografz

They are still available on Ebay. Personally I can't imagine using 35mm film. Medium format maybe.
For your style of photography how could anyone disagree?

For me, there's nothing in the regimented pixel digital world that looks like real B&W 35mm film ... for that "street" look. Gritty, Real, with amazing detail. Love it.

fotografz

Wish the current budget allowed it (F6: $1500) - no knowledge of or affiliation with the seller, just bumped into it.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=888990
This assumes the F6 is gone. Is there an official announcement from Nikon?

Funny, I have a Mint Canon EOS 1V left over from my Canon days that has only seen a couple doz. rolls through it ... and I can't give it away. If I had a doz. F6 I could sell all of them overnight.

robmac

Odd isn't it. It's not like the 1V was a dog by any stretch of the imagination.

Lots of conflicting stories/rumors/denials & dealer/Nikon statements about the F6's status being discussed by the folks at Nikonians and Nikoncafe. Assuming where there's smoke, there MAY be fire...if you want one (or backup), might not be a bad idea to buy now vs later.

Am personally eyeballing a possible F4S - my 'need to buy list' being perpetually longer than my self-imposed budget is fat ;>

This assumes the F6 is gone. Is there an official announcement from Nikon?

Funny, I have a Mint Canon EOS 1V left over from my Canon days that has only seen a couple doz. rolls through it ... and I can't give it away. If I had a doz. F6 I could sell all of them overnight.

Last edited:

fotografz

Odd isn't it. It's not like the 1V was a dog by any stretch of the imagination.

Lots of conflicting stories/rumors/denials & dealer/Nikon statements about the F6's status being discussed by the folks at Nikonians and Nikoncafe. Assuming where there's smoke, there MAY be fire...if you want one (or backup), might not be a bad idea to buy now vs later.

Am personally eyeballing a possible F4S - my 'need to buy list' being perpetually longer than my self-imposed budget is fat ;>
The only good thing about loving some of this great film gear is that it doesn't nuke your wallet. :thumbs:

I put the 1V up in the F/S section at a nice price. Let's see if anyone can recognize a great camera when they see one :clap:

robmac

You've got that right. Makes me wish I hadn't #$%^&'ly sold my Nikon 5000 ED a couple of years ago. Oh well, makes it easier to justify a 9000 and being able to play in both 35mm and MF land (that 500cm kit on the B&S has my eye - along with 101 other things of course).

Saw your 1V - looks sweet.

Stuart Richardson

I will probably sell the F6. I bought mine when I switched to Nikon, and as great as it is, if I am going to be shooting 35mm film, it will be in a Leica. It is a truly impressive SLR, but for the type of things I use 35mm for, it is just overkill. By the way, no offers...it is in the US in a drawer, and I am in the Iceland. I will pick it up next time I am stateside.

bensonga

The only good thing about loving some of this great film gear is that it doesn't nuke your wallet. :thumbs:

I put the 1V up in the F/S section at a nice price. Let's see if anyone can recognize a great camera when they see one :clap:
I certainly did! It arrived in Anchorage today (together with the PB-E2 power booster/vertical grip I ordered) and I've already finished off a roll of the HP5+ film you sent me (Ship Creek ice flows etc). All things considered, I personally don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to be shooting 35mm film anymore (medium and large format film I can more easily rationalize), but what the heck.....that EOS 1V sure is a sweet camera!! :thumbs:

Now I can put the Nikon 5000ED scanner I bought recently to good use!!

Thanks again Marc!

Gary
Alaska

DaveO

Just saw the Nikon F6 listed on B&H for $ 2399 the other day. I got mine at Keh Camera used for about $900 less about six months ago. I believe they still have them, if not B&H sells the F100 new for $ 750.

Daveo

DaveO

Just looked at B&H, Feb 11, 2011, they have the F6 in stock for $ 2199. The price has come down from $ 2399!

DaveO