The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My NKVD-FED

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I knew I had this camera. It was my step-brother's. His father was a Major in Army intelligence and with the first U.S. unit to enter occupied Berlin. My step-mother (this my father's second wife) told me the Major had gotten the camera from his Russian counter-part in Berlin. Step-brother had no interest photography and gave it me. I never though about the "Russian" camera. For some reason when I was taking Russian I never translated the markings.

Well today was digging in my desk draw I pulled it out. In about 1968, it stopped working and the Dallas Leica techs wouldn't touch it.

I know a bit now about Russian Leica copies and looking saw it was a FED in cyrillic.
Well I did a little playing with an online Russian alphabet and FED serial numbers.I have:

An NKVD FED 1b made in 1937.

View attachment 13332

Body
View attachment 13333

Now, I want to get it restored and back taking pictures.
I'm going to see if Sherry K. will CLA the lens. Still looking for a FED restorer.

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Found both a place to restore the FED and Lens, Fedka.

He also seems to have fine stock of Former Soviet Union cameras and lenses at nice prices.