The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dipping a toe in the darkside

kevinparis

Took delivery of a Leitz Minolta CL this morning - seems to be be working fine apart from the plastic in front of of the viewfinder has been cracked. Rangefinder seems bright and clear - and the meter works - once i had found out how to switch it.

A 35mm summilux was handed to me from my other halfs 'leitz box', I loaded up some HP5 and stepped out into the sunshine to try it out. It certainly feels nice in the hand - though getting used to aperture and focus rings being the wrong way round and stopping oneself from 'chimping'

Developed the film this afternoon and then battled with the Plustek scanner trying to get some decent scans

here are the results - you can see larger versions on my flickr page.

Comments and criticisms appreciated.... oh and if anybody has a PDF of the manual I would be interested in having a look - though i think I have figured it pretty much out - no endless menus of obscure options here

cheers

Kevin

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Kevin, The tones in #2 are really beautiful. I am distracted with the sharpening (white line) around the man in #1.
Congrats on the new camera. It looks like the meter is spot on and Cam's 35 is delicious.:clap:

helenhill

#2 is Quite Fab.....Tones are Beautiful
I can't get enough of Darks and hi Contrast

Congrats On Your leica
Best-:)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Kevin,
I went over to your flickr and looked at #2 in a larger size. The scan looks very good. Are you learning any tricks that you would like to share?

kevinparis

cindy

thanks for the good words

re whiteline arund the man - think thats partly due to the sharpening that posting here applies.

regarding scanning tips... well i have been working using the vuescan tips where you basically lock exposure on a black point - and it probably works on negs tha are reasonalble exposed

I am still refining the whole workflow - but we are getting there. The cafe shot was scanned at 2500 dpi and the man at 4000 dpi - both scanned to 16bit gray scale TIFF

will post more as and when i get them done

cheers

K

kevinparis

helen

in order not to offend the nether regional hoarders of this world we should probably refer to it as a Leitz Minolta :) as that is what it is

K

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
cindy

re whiteline arund the man - think thats partly due to the sharpening that posting here applies.

regarding scanning tips... well i have been working using the vuescan tips where you basically lock exposure on a black point - and it probably works on negs tha are reasonalble exposed

I am still refining the whole workflow - but we are getting there. The cafe shot was scanned at 2500 dpi and the man at 4000 dpi - both scanned to 16bit gray scale TIFF

will post more as and when i get them done

cheers

K
Kevin,
I know exactly what you are talking about with the sharpening. It doesn't seem to always react the same. I believe that you can put a 1200 pixel wide photo in the gallery with no bad repercussion. If you put it right into the thread, you need to limit it to 900 pixels or some voodoo happens.:ROTFL:

I use the lock exposure with vuescan on my Nikon V with good results.