The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Analog Dreams are Over

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono,
I've been offline for a few days and just got back on. I'm sorry to see that film is not going to be in the cards for you. You have to do what works best for you, and you do digital so well. :thumbup:

jonoslack

Jono,
I've been offline for a few days and just got back on. I'm sorry to see that film is not going to be in the cards for you. You have to do what works best for you, and you do digital so well. :thumbup:
Thanks Cindy
It really is simply a matter of time. I've searched and searched to find good (and reasonably priced) develop and scan, but without avail.

Maybe in a year or so the children will push me back from the business frontline a bit and I'll have more time.

In the meantime - many thanks to Woody for putting a word of reason into the discussion. I'm sorry for my part in the pointlessness.

Peace to all concerned :)

K

kipkeston

I tend to have a 66 to 75 percent keeper rate on film which makes scanning a bit tiring. At that rate I simply scan all images. I have little doubt shooting 35mm film is worth it. Its 120 that I question. Is there still a place for a 80mm f2.8 planar?

fotografz

I tend to have a 66 to 75 percent keeper rate on film which makes scanning a bit tiring. At that rate I simply scan all images. I have little doubt shooting 35mm film is worth it. Its 120 that I question. Is there still a place for a 80mm f2.8 planar?
There is room for the Zeiss 80/2.8 in my gear bag.

Love 120 films. Especially Tri-X Pro.

Amin

I enjoyed the discussion despite an unpleasant bit here and there. I'm sure we can all agree that both digital and film produce great results in the right hands!

emmawest72

Of course the planar 80mm has a place. It's my only lens for my hassy.

Very little beats 120 film, well maybe 4x5"...

Film Rules!!!

Check gallery link below if you want to see photos.

Cheers

jonoslack

I enjoyed the discussion despite an unpleasant bit here and there. I'm sure we can all agree that both digital and film produce great results in the right hands!
Hi Amin
I certainly think so - and that it would be nice to have the time and resources to use both . .. one day perhaps

andrewteee

My time is very limited too (2 very young kids)! But I recently purchased a Zeiss Ikon because as I learn more about photography (I'm most interested in B&W) I'm drawn primarily to film imagery. Plus, I like the rangefinder design and viewfinder. I figure I'll give it some time and see how it pans out. With my first few rolls I'll have a good local lab develop and scan them. At least that way I can save some time. And I don't plan on shooting a lot so the cost won't be prohibitive.

To my eye film and digital are different and there is a place for both.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Sorry, It didn't work out for you.

I have struggled with the same thing in the M line for awhile now. I really like the M8, but am just not using it enough. It has really turned into a personal camera only and other needs are hitting.

You know the drill, too many cameras and not enough time. Several things are going on the block this week.

Another struggle on the film side is how to manage color or B&W. I finally gave up on color film when developed locally here in Phoenix, as the two "Pro" labs leave it scratched or looking like someone moonlighting from KFC (grease) processed it. I do love real B&W, so have taken to developing it myself and scanning on a Nikon.

Just sold the M8 & am keeping the M7. That means that I'm gonna sell the 28 cron also, as I don't like that focal length on film even though it is a great lens. Personal work with the M7 is going to be 35/50/90, which are the only frame lines in mine.

Digital still stays as that is what pays bills, but in the form of a Nikon and the Hasselblad.

Hopefully someday, you will play film some more. Not getting into the film vs. digital debate, as they are different and both great. Funny thing is that I'm getting more enjoyment from shooting the M7 in film than from the M8. I just naturally slow down and really plan the shot.

You may find that posting film to somewhere for development is feasible. I do a fast single pass scan at 8 bit of the entire roll to see what really deserves more time and then do a good scan on the keepers only. It really saves time.

Best,

Ray