The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Help With Possible Camera Issue

Bigfeet

Greetings All,
Could someone give me an idea as to what may be wrong with my camera? These images are from using several different lenses as well as rolls of film. It seems that light is intruding on both the left and right sides. It does show up on the negatives very clearly.

It also only seems to show up during daylight.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Bigfeet

Lars

Obviously a light leak. Hardly the back, and that camera has no bellows so I agree it must be a shutter problem.

Lars

I know how you feel :( back in -85 I ruined three weeks of Scotland photos because the shutter on my Pentax LX gave up.

Lars

Try posting in the Leica M group, I think you will find lots of helpful people there. Actually, I'll ask the admin to move this thread there, hope you don't mind.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lars:

Since it's a film camera, maybe we should leave it here in the analog section -- it sees a lot more film M shooters than the digital M section.

As to the problem, it is definitely a light leak and could be a bad baseplate, a leak in the door seal or a hole or tear in the M3's cloth shutter curtain -- and given the shape and the fact it is a circle that appears to move, my guess is a few pinholes in the shutter curtain. You can check this by getting into a dark room or closet and shine a flashlight in the the lens throat while viewing the shutter from the rear and look for any bright spots.

Have a good repair shop look at it and I'm sure they can sort it out quickly. None of those repairs should be outrageously expensive.

Cheers,

Bigfeet

Hi Lars:

Since it's a film camera, maybe we should leave it here in the analog section -- it sees a lot more film M shooters than the digital M section.

As to the problem, it is definitely a light leak and could be a bad baseplate, a leak in the door seal or a hole or tear in the M3's cloth shutter curtain -- and given the shape and the fact it is a circle that appears to move, my guess is a few pinholes in the shutter curtain. You can check this by getting into a dark room or closet and shine a flashlight in the the lens throat while viewing the shutter from the rear and look for any bright spots.

Have a good repair shop look at it and I'm sure they can sort it out quickly. None of those repairs should be outrageously expensive.

Cheers,

Thanks Jack for the feedback and comments.

I have to say with great embarrassment that it is a M2 not a M3. It has been a long couple of days, hence the screw up on my part. I have spoken with the individual that did the CLA back in December, and it will go out to them later this week for evaluation. I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome...

Bigfeet

Stuart Richardson

I agree with Jack...it looks to me like some pinholes at some point in the shutter. All those were taken in fairly bright light, and I suspect the pinholes made those lines as you advanced the film -- the single dots became streaks as the part with the holes moved across the film. Any chance you left your lens cap off and the camera sat still in the sun for awhile? Perhaps face up on a table with no lens cap on? Since the M3 has a cloth shutter, it is prone to having pinholes burnt into it by the sun if you are not careful about putting the cap on the lens when you are not using it.

Bigfeet

I agree with Jack...it looks to me like some pinholes at some point in the shutter. All those were taken in fairly bright light, and I suspect the pinholes made those lines as you advanced the film -- the single dots became streaks as the part with the holes moved across the film. Any chance you left your lens cap off and the camera sat still in the sun for awhile? Perhaps face up on a table with no lens cap on? Since the M3 has a cloth shutter, it is prone to having pinholes burnt into it by the sun if you are not careful about putting the cap on the lens when you are not using it.
Yes, it was definitely very bright out. I did leave the lens cap off, but the camera was with me the whole time. I had it slung over my shoulder and transitioned between it and several other cameras I had with me at the time. It never sat by itself though...

I really appreciate all of the feedback. It is helping me learn more about photography and the pitfalls you face at times.

Bigfeet

Stuart Richardson

It happens to everyone at some point. I had two rolls of film ruined by a messed up shutter when I was on a vacation in Europe one time. You'll find that the more you use your equipment, the more problems you run into...it's sad but true! Take it as a badge of honor -- it means you are actually out there using your gear.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I burned a hole in the shutter curtain of one of my M5's and I did not leave it sitting on a table. I was using two cameras that day and did not put the lens cap on my M5. I am now super careful to put the lens cap back on between shots when I am shooting a film M.

O

Oxide Blu

Any chance you left your lens cap off and the camera sat still in the sun for awhile? Perhaps face up on a table with no lens cap on?

In high humidity areas this is how you prevent fungus from growing on/in your lens -- remove the lens caps, open the aperture to the widest opening so the most sun light can get all the way through the lens. And you must be careful of the light coming out of the back of the lens -- it can burn stuff.