The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel Kit

emmawest72

Hi,

I will soon be leaving for a 2 week trip to Iran. In preparing my camera stuff I decided to take a picture of my travel kit as I have seen some of these before and I thought they were quite helpful in some way.

Candy bag will include:
- Hasselblad/ 80mm
- M4-2 with 35mm (f1,4) & 50mm (f2)
- Sekonic light meter
- Small tripod from Manfrotto
- Cable release somewhere...
- Cokin Filter holder for Hassy, and ND4 filter
- 35mm film( provia400x, Tmax400, Tri-X,Ektar100 and some others)
- 120 film( pro 400h, pro160s, some portra 400vc, acros, Tri-x in the domke)

I will probably review film choice a bit as I more or less just emptied my film drawer to see what was available.

I hope this doesn't come across as " show off" because it is really not my intention.

N

nei1

William ,have a great time,bring back some great photos,all the best........Neil.

helenhill

very Cool...very Classy

What will YOU be doing in Iran for 2 weeks???
aside from a GREAT Photo Opportunity

Be Well...Have Fun ....:grin:

Bigfeet

Can I suggest cutting the Domke tag off of the camera bag? It tends to attract less attention in my opinion.

Bigfeet

simonclivehughes

Dare I speak heretically and suggest that a small, capable digital cam stuck in a pocket would be worthwhile for the space it takes? I wish you luck in your travels.

Cheers,

Lars

No, not showing off, this is a good discussion topic.

Subcompact digicam, lens cleaning cloth. Maybe that new Ektar 100 film would be worth trying? Then again maybe it's not the right time.

My MF film kit is slightly different, since I shoot with a technical view camera:
Tripod
Cable release
Level
Exposure notebook
Shade
Small reflector (40 cm silver/white)
Compact screwdriver
Multi-tool like leatherman
Lightproof bag for exposed MF rolls, and then a ziploc bag inside that to keep moisture out - MF roll seals can let go in a humid climate.
Small roll of black studio cloth tape for emergency fixes.

I also have this lead-lined cloth bag that I keep all my film in. It's about 250 grams extra to carry, I imagine that it protects the dmax of my slide film a bit against cosmic radiation on flights. I don't worry about carryon x-ray checks anymore, the cosmic radiation at high altitude is supposedly much more damaging. OTOH, I don't know if it matters, and I will probably never find out. Silly me...

emmawest72

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Helen: I will be visiting Iran with my 3 kids and wife as it has been on our list for quite some time. However, I wanted the kids to grow up a bit ( they are now 5 1/2, 7 1/2 and 10) before making the trip. Hopefully they will appreciate this trip and see something different from their everyday life and culture.

Lars: thanks for the suggestions. I will add the ziplock and lens cloth. For the small digicam, it's a good idea but I don't have one:)
I would have liked to try the ektar 100 in 120 format but none of the shops where I live( bruxelles) have it so far. Anyway, I have a few other trips coming up and will try it then.

Cheers
W.

sizifo

Funny, this looks almost exactly like the hassi kit I ended up with recently, including a domke bag, the only difference being my 80mm is of the newer kind. How do you get along with the coupled shutter aperture rings? I've been wondering about which is better during attacks of pedantry.

Stuart Richardson

I am really jealous of your trip. Are there any visa issues going to Iran? It seems like a fascinating country.

Looks like a great kit. I imagine you have left already, but if you haven't, I would suggest more black and white 120 film -- cut the 400H and half and substitute it with Neopan 400 or Acros...

M

mjr

Hi.

I've been lucky enough to have worked and traveled in over 70 countries, I class Iran as top 5 easily! The Iranian people on the street are incredibly friendly, the country is stunning and at no point did I feel anything but welcome. I'm sure you will have an amazing time over there, Esfahan was one of my favorite places, street photography was superb, some amazing old buildings and doorways.

Enjoy your trip!

Mat.

emmawest72

Well, I'm back and soon off to the lab with a lot of film:) Total of 27 rolls of 120 film and 12 rolls of 35mm.

I will start a new thread soon to give my impressions and show a lot of photos but before that I'm off to Cordoba, Spain for more shooting... also need to buy more film!!

Cheers