The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back to the Future: How's the Zeiss Ikon?

fotografz

I'm about to beef up my film gear. Just secured a Hasselblad 203FE from a forum member, and now I am turning my eye back to 35mm rangefinders.

For years I used M6s then M7s and know those cameras well. Currently have a M8 with M24/2.8ASPH, 28/2ASPH, 35/1.4ASPH, 50/1.4ASPH, and a 90/2.8.

I am now considering the Zeiss Ikon body for film work ... which appears to have the best rangefinder base of anything out there, a stop better top shutter speed which would help with fast glass, and a 1/125th sync speed compared to the Leica's 1/50th

Anyone using this camera? What is the tactile feel like? Do the Leica M lenses register correctly? Is it a lot louder than a M7? Is the meter accurate?

Any impressions good or bad would be most appreciated

wjlapier

I considered one not too long ago, but went with a M3 and using my light meter. But still, I'm wondering about build quality compared to the Leicas with meters. How well does the Ikon feel compared to the M3 and other Leica M bodies?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Marc,

I previously owned one but later sold it after some use and kept an M7.

The viewfinder is much better if you use glasses, feel is nice however M7 is better in my hand, film loading is easier in the Ikon, meter works great, shutter is a little louder but not a problem.

Where the Ikon really falls down is in range finder adjustment. You will be adjusting infinity focus to keep your lenses focused correctly on a fairly regular basis. After the adjustment range runs out, you then have to send it in for service to get the RF moved back to correct location so that you have adjustment range again.

Overall it is just not built as well as the M7.

I am careful with my gear but use it. The RF in the Ikon is just too easy to knock out of alignment for any real pro use.

Others may disagree, but that is my $.02 and experience.

Best,

Ray

fotografz

Marc,

I previously owned one but later sold it after some use and kept an M7.

The viewfinder is much better if you use glasses, feel is nice however M7 is better in my hand, film loading is easier in the Ikon, meter works great, shutter is a little louder but not a problem.

Where the Ikon really falls down is in range finder adjustment. You will be adjusting infinity focus to keep your lenses focused correctly on a fairly regular basis. After the adjustment range runs out, you then have to send it in for service to get the RF moved back to correct location so that you have adjustment range again.

Overall it is just not built as well as the M7.

I am careful with my gear but use it. The RF in the Ikon is just too easy to knock out of alignment for any real pro use.

Others may disagree, but that is my $.02 and experience.

Best,

Ray
Thanks Ray, that is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. It'll be a no go on the Ikon ... keeping the Ms in register is hard enough.

Scott G

FWIW, if you look on rangefinderforum.com in the Leica M section there is a long-running debate/poll about Ikon vs. M7. Surprisingly the results are about equal.

I too am pondering a used M7 vs. new Ikon. I called up a well known store that sells both and asked if it was their money, which would they buy, and they said used M7...

monza

I've had a ZI and never had any RF issues, also an M7...never had any RF issues on any Ms. The earlier Ms are of course very easy to adjust, it's trivial.

back alley

i love the zi, easy to use, feels solid but not heavy, longest rf base out there, easy on the eyes for us old guys with glasses, never had an alignment problem.

i've also had leica, an m3 and an m4p, pita to change film but otherwise great cameras too.

if you want solid, heavy and unbreakable- get a canon p!

JPlomley

M7 will hold its resale value.

M7 will take the Motor M, providing another level of "automation" akin to your M8, while beautifully balancing the entire rig when using a 75 or 90.

M7 is just bloody sexy.

I don't get the loading film thing. Takes all of 15-20 sec at most. Takes longer to rewind than it does to load.

If you get an Ikon you will always wonder if you should have gotten the M7. If on the other hand you get the M7, you will never give the Ikon a second thought.