The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JUST WON ON EBAY a G1.....CONTAX that is

helenhill

Has anyone here any Thoughts or Experience with the Contax G1
Its modified so I can use 21 & 35 mm

I'm excited to try the 45/2 glass .... Thanx in Advance :)

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have friend who gave up his Barnack Leica after getting a G1. So, David likes it. Only thing is glass for it seems rather limited.

monza

The G1 and lenses are fantastic. All the focal lengths anyone needs. The only thing that might be limiting to some, is f/2.0 is the fastest aperture.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. :)

ReeRay

Anyday now my G2 and 45mm should arrive, bought from a getdpi member.

Look forward to sharing our findings.

helenhill

Coool Reeray... CONGRATS ...just noticed YOURS in the For Sale/Sold thread
Shes a BEAUTY!

will order a 45 today and if I'm in Love then the 21 (thank You Jim!)
I have read the 45 is the sharpest lens around /even more so than the cron
Look at best of Flickr pixs with this lens ...Its Charming & the OOF is Lovely
with the Center soooo SHARP

Start a THREAD Reeray when you get it....I'll certainly Join In

Thanx Monza ...Can't wait to try new Glass

John /I will keep my M2 & 35 Lux -its my first leica M film cam so theres abit of sentimentality there :ROTFL: :rolleyes:

Best to All- H :cool:

Last edited:

ReeRay

Just awaiting the bid outcome on a 28mm and 90mm - think with the 45mm that'll do me........

.......(at least for a day or 2):LOL:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
All Contax G lenses are excellent. Don't overlook the 35mm and 90mm. They can be had very inexpensively.

Here are few taken with G lenses: the first one with 28mm, second 35mm and third 90mm. Kodak 100G film and scanned using Nikon 9000.

Enjoy your G1!

Kind regards,

ReeRay

Very nice "Ocean" .
Just won the 90mm on Ebay and now awaiting the 28mm bid.
I'm actually just on the verge of ordering some film - do you prefer the K100G against (say) Provia/Velvia and why?
It's been some time since I used 35mm slide and I'm intrigued as to what is today regarded as the best.

helenhill

Fab Ocean ...:)

I actually Love the 35 shot the Best ...a Biogon design is it ?
and the 90 is Sonnar / Does is tend to have that Lovely Sonnar GLOW
the c 50 does ???

Great Prices for STELLAR Lenses.....wooohoooo :ROTFL:
Cheers-H

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Very nice "Ocean" .
Just won the 90mm on Ebay and now awaiting the 28mm bid.
I'm actually just on the verge of ordering some film - do you prefer the K100G against (say) Provia/Velvia and why?
It's been some time since I used 35mm slide and I'm intrigued as to what is today regarded as the best.
ReeRay,

Thanks very much. I use K100G, and Astia the most for 35mm. I prefer the color of K100 to that of Provia as it has the 'right' amount of saturation, but not overly so, to my eyes. The Astia, on the other hand, renders very nice skin tones and has the best resolution. But Provia is also good general purpose film to use. Its color is a bit flat for me. As for Velvia, it is best used for slide projection. I still use it but much less so. These days, with digital scanning, some of Velvia's color effects can be achieved with post processing.

I hope you will enjoy your 90mm. It has a very unique smooth rendition that I have not seen in other 90mm lenses including some of best Leica glasses.

Kind regards,

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Fab Ocean ...:)

I actually Love the 35 shot the Best ...a Biogon design is it ?
and the 90 is Sonnar / Does is tend to have that Lovely Sonnar GLOW
the c 50 does ???

Great Prices for STELLAR Lenses.....wooohoooo :ROTFL:
Cheers-H
Helen,

Thank you! The 35mm G lens is not a Biogon design but a Planar design. From what I have seen, it is the very same design of Leica 35 Summicon M (pre ASPH). As for the 90mm, yes, it is a Sonnar design and has very beautiful smooth rendition.

Among all the 21/28/35/45/90 lenses, I use 21mm Biogon the most followed by 45mm Planar. The 28 Biogon is another wonderful lens that has been under appreciated. I will take mine for my next outing.

Kind regards,

helenhill

Had abit of difficulty at first
being a Leica M gal
but got the Contax system Down Now.....

heres a few / Superia 200 /G! & 45 Planar...:cool:
needless to say , its a Great Little Rangefinder
with FAB Glass Cheap !

Last edited:

ReeRay

Wow Helen
Very impressive
I mean, the shots and scan are great but what's most impressive is the speed in upload.
My film order hasn't even arrived yet! :)

helenhill

Thank YOU ,Monza & Reeray....:D

Won the Camera Sunday got the cam Thursday & the lens Friday...
the fridge is already stocked with lots of Film.....:ROTFL:

heres Another....Chris- Building's Custodian

Last edited:

helenhill

Caught Drinking Again...... Mojito Anyone
and
The Gates to my next Client's home....
21 Biogon

Last edited:

monza

Helen, the mojito is still half full, did you finish it? :)

Wonderful estate, the landscaping maintenance alone is probably 3x my mortgage...