The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tar Dance

popum

This is one of the nicest examples of abstract photography that I've seen in quite a while. Please tell us more about how you made the shots.

Mike

Godfrey

Thanks for looking, Mike and Diane!

This is one of the nicest examples of abstract photography that I've seen in quite a while. Please tell us more about how you made the shots.
Well, there's not much to tell. I'm working with a bunch of very outdated film and seeing what I can get from it. I set the camera to f/2.8 or f/4, set the EV compensation to +1.5, and go looking for photo ops. Film is processed at the local lab and scanned on a Nikon LS-IV. At first I was looking to do B&Ws, but I was playing with some ideas inspired by Japanese calligraphy (good call, Diane! ;-) and liked what happened with a color rendering more. They're full frame, no cropping, and a kind of "inverted vignette" or beveled edge effect happened when I made a mistake on some settings. I liked it and developed it a little further.

Most of it was seeing these things and then abstracting them into the seemings of language ... then I saw the dance which made the title of the set and the names.

I made a couple of them into hand-printed notecards ... they really look nice printed on a heavy, slightly coarse textured paper. I'll be offering them as part of a two or three movement folio set, or as a boxed set of hand-made notecards.