The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

photo: watching ... MOMA 2009

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Nice image ....the Rollei 35....one of my alltime favorite cameras. This was my original point and shoot. The take it everywhere camera .

I was right there at the Robert Frank about 10days ago in San Francisco. Seeing the whole exhibit and learning about how he put it together was amazing. I went home and took out my map.....time for a road trip.

Diane B

I really like this one--beautiful feeling to it with the grain, the light behind the subject.

Amazing to me that on the west coast, shooting in a museum is acceptable--here in the Carolinas its virtually a crime.

M

Mark Ehlers

Just saw this. Wonderful capture, Godfrey...as Diane mentioned, the light behind the subjects really works well here. And your pp is first rate.

Diane: I'm surprized to hear about shooting in a museum being a crime from where you are. Over here (Wisconsin, at least), it's perfectly acceptable to photograph the permanent exhibits and the visitors. It's only the traveling exhibits we are not allowed to photograph.

Godfrey

Thanks again!

I consider it a badge of honor that I nearly get a hard look from security at least once or twice per museum visit... ;-)

I always ask at the information desk regards policy about making photographs inside a museum. Nearly all restrict photography of their visiting special exhibits, but most have no problems taking pictures in the public areas and in standing exhibit areas ... as long as you are not trying to steal and market the works.

Since my primary interest in shooting at museums is people work, they are generally encouraging about it.

emmawest72

Very nice picture.

I just bought the book last week ( the complete version with correspondance,contact sheets,etc ). Extremely interesting book.

Diane B

Our local (small city) art museum allows photos, but its a small venue. All the other museums I've been to (including our very good state art museum) in the state have prohibited photography--its been spelled out very clearly on their web sites and at the desks. I found this at other museums in some nearby states also--several in Chattanooga, TN (where I was REALLY tempted to try and sneak one). I did photograph in the Greenville, SC museum though.

First of all I shouldn't have said it was a crime--that's a bit oveblown LOL--its prohibited and has been watched carefully.

BUT---the Mint has revised its 'no photography' it seems. We can now shoot permanent collection and more (I suspect they found it was foolhardy to try and maintain the no shoot policy). And--the Mint's Craft Design Museum is moving to a new venue the first of the year--though the old is architecturally very interesting (but photography hasn't been allowed--and having been a professional crafts artist for years, i do understand the no photos of works which are mostly contemporary). Other museums here may be changing policy also--I'll have to check each to see. There are also at least 2 new museums to open by first of year in Charlotte and the NC State Art Museum is closed for a major revamping, so it will be exciting if I can shoot in all of these.

Diane

Godfrey

Very nice picture.

I just bought the book last week ( the complete version with correspondance,contact sheets,etc ). Extremely interesting book.
A friend of mine bought that book. It is extremely interesting but more of a historical piece. I find it's so big and so full of information that it changes my perception of "The Americans" as it was in its own edition. I have both my beloved, old, well thumbed 1969 softbound copy and the 2008 edition of the original... I'll pick up the compendium book at some point. :)

Godfrey

... First of all I shouldn't have said it was a crime--that's a bit oveblown LOL--its prohibited and has been watched carefully. ...
What's a little hyperbole between friends?

It's good to hear that they're beginning to act semi-rationally, however.

Whenever I enter a museum, I ask at the desk in the tone, "Hello, I'm a photographer. I do candid photography of people in environmental settings. I love the light and architecture in this building ... What areas can I make photographs in? Are restricted areas clearly marked? Do you have any restrictions regards using a tripod?"

That usually opens the dialog on the right footing. At the very least, it gets them focused on the many horrors and dangers of using a tripod and how verboten that might be, rather than my primary goal which is hand-held photos of people.

Sneaky, yeah ... ];-)

Treachery of the old is far more effective than innocence of the young.