The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some genius forgot the Stop "wash"...

mathomas

...and that idiot is me. I was processing in Diafine, and did A, then B, then Fixer, totally forgetting the stop bath (which I do with plain water).

I went ahead and processed as usual. The negs look reasonable at a glance (they're still drying). Any predictions on what to expect of them?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If your fixer was fresh, they ought to be fine.
The purpose of the stop, besides to rapidly stop development, is to maintain the pH of your fixer. You might consider keeping your fixer without having to toss it by adding about 5cc of stop bath to it directly.
-bob

mathomas

Thanks, Bob.

I actually use a water "stop bath". Do you think my fixer was ruined by the small amount of Diafine part B that got included in the fixer due to the lack of the water stop step?

I don't mind mixing up a fresh batch -- my local photo shop will dispose of it for me.

Thanks again...

PS: I'm scanning the negs right now. Not looking that great, but it could be a million other things. Exposure is all over the place, due to playing with filters. I've been having some trouble with grain and "white dots" on this Efke 100 I've been shooting.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it, but to maximize your fixer's life, an acid stop bath is recommended. Just be sure to fix for at least twice the clearing time.
-bob