The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Chemical question

pfigen

According to this: http://www.darkroom.ru/info/manuals/ilford_rapid_fixer_manual_eng.pdf

It looks like you should be fixing your film for 2-5 minutes with a 1:4 dilution. If you didn't also order hardener, you might want that for your film as well. It really helps to harden the emulsion and prevent subsequent scratches, but you generally don't want hardener in fixer for prints, as it greatly increases washing times an can have a detrimental effect on toning.

Valentin

It looks like you should be fixing your film for 2-5 minutes with a 1:4 dilution. If you didn't also order hardener, you might want that for your film as well....
Thanks Peter. Although the suggested times are 2 or more than double the time :)

This is my first time developing film so I don't have any experience with it. The post with the Caffenol got me interested and I will give it a shot.

I wasn't sure if I got the right fixer since on it there is no reference to film whatsoever. We'll see how it comes out :confused:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The rule of thumb is that you fix film for twice the clearing time.
Look at a the film and if it appears a bit cloudy, then put it back in the fixer. When it just clears, then double that time.
-bob

Valentin

The rule of thumb is that you fix film for twice the clearing time.
Look at a the film and if it appears a bit cloudy, then put it back in the fixer. When it just clears, then double that time.
-bob
Bob,

So, let's say I let it fix for 3 minutes. Take the film out (no washing) and look at it and if cloudy, put it back in for let's say another 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds it looks good so the normal time would be 7 min?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

So, let's say I let it fix for 3 minutes. Take the film out (no washing) and look at it and if cloudy, put it back in for let's say another 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds it looks good so the normal time would be 7 min?
That is correct.
-bob

Tim Gray

Better yet, clip off a bit of the leader and drop it in a cup of the fixer in light. Then you can determine the clearing time without removing your reel every couple minutes.

In general though, I use Ilford Rapid Fixer at 1:4 for about 4 mins. I don't use hardener.

Valentin

Thank Tim and Tokengirl (what's your name :) ).

I guess I will shoot a couple of rolls at the same values and try different times to see which one is better. It's not like it's going to break the bank (especially if you compare with the digi backs :) ).

I can't wait to get the damn materials. It takes a week for stuff to get from Montana to PA and only 3 days to get albums from Italy to PA :confused:

Valentin

Dumb question: how do you clean your stuff? Do you just rinse with water or do you use soap? (as I'm processing my very first film; finger crossed).

T

tokengirl

What stuff? You mean your tank and reels?

I put mine in the dishwasher. But I am using the stainless tank and reels. I don't know if I would do it with the plastic stuff.

Valentin

What stuff? You mean your tank and reels?

I put mine in the dishwasher. But I am using the stainless tank and reels. I don't know if I would do it with the plastic stuff.
Yes, the graduates, tank and reels. I have the plastic one (it was the only one that came with the agitator; the stainless steel ones didn't).

I only "cleaned" it with warm water. I don't know if I'm courageous enough to put it in the dishwasher due the chemicals.

My first ever development was a success. I'll post pictures when I scan them.

Thanks.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Usually a rinse with warm water is all that is needed.
There are very few processing chemicals that require a detergent notably some color processes.
-bob