The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wet Plate Collodion

JimCollum

For xmas I got an old Brownie 3D Folder... along with a beginners kit for shooting Wet Plate.

While nothing more than a snapshot.. my very first attempt at a tintype

usathyan

Thanks Jim. Its a pleasure to be recognized. If you are in the New Jersey area - please stop by and check out my new exhibits at the Watchung Arts Center, in Watchung.

BTW - I liked your website design (and the images of course)...Very minimalistic, yet effective.

T

tokengirl

This is really cool. Is this something that must be done "in camera", or can you use images you already have?

JimCollum

all in camera.. you have a 10 min window from the time you float the plate to development. You end up putting a plate still dripping wet with silver nitrate solution into the camera/holder

JimCollum

yup.. you can tell a wet plate photographer by their black finger tips (staining from the silver nitrate)

you also have to be careful cuz the collodion is mixed with ether (so you have to pour the plate in a *well* ventilated environment (has a very low flash point, as well as the danger of passing out). the sensitizer is a silver nitrate solution (which will instantly blind you if you get any in your eye), and the fix is potassium cyanide.

so .. messy & a little dangerous