The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new V750 dust and fog under glass????

I have had an Epson V750 for several years. It arrived spot clean, no dust, no fogging, and has remained clean since. When I am not using it I keep it protected with a nylon anti-static dust cover.

250swb

My Epson V700 developed foggy glass after only a couple of weeks just like all the other Epson scanners I have owned. It is just the lubrication in a new machine gassing off. As I'm not the sort to send it back and spend hours bitching, so making a big job out of a small job, I took the top off and cleaned it. It took five minutes.

After the components of a new machine settle down and bed in it becomes months between cleans rather than weeks. In fact it is just like a new digital camera, the sensor will be at its dirtiest in the first few months.

Steve

smilem

My Epson V700 developed foggy glass after only a couple of weeks just like all the other Epson scanners I have owned. It is just the lubrication in a new machine gassing off. As I'm not the sort to send it back and spend hours bitching, so making a big job out of a small job, I took the top off and cleaned it. It took five minutes.

After the components of a new machine settle down and bed in it becomes months between cleans rather than weeks. In fact it is just like a new digital camera, the sensor will be at its dirtiest in the first few months.

Steve
Are you suggesting that is it normal to lubricate scanners with lubricant that does not fit the purpose and is gassing off?

Are you suggesting that it is normal that digital reflex cameras have dust inside when new?

Poor manufacturing is not an excuse for multi-million dollar companies, but stupid users is...

250swb

Are you suggesting that is it normal to lubricate scanners with lubricant that does not fit the purpose and is gassing off?

Are you suggesting that it is normal that digital reflex cameras have dust inside when new?

Poor manufacturing is not an excuse for multi-million dollar companies, but stupid users is...
Let me take you carefully through what I said. I said in the first few months a digital camera will be at its dirtiest, because all the components are bedding in and in doing so they throw off dust and lubricants. I did not 'suggest' that they have dust and dirt inside when new. Got it?

Now back to scanners. I did not 'suggest' that they are lubricated with lubricants that do not fit the purpose. The aim of my comments was to show that rather than snivelling and crying about stuff that happens, it is a five minute job to clean the inside of the glass, so avoiding the 'victim culture' that so many people join. Would you send your DSLR back to the manufacturer when it gets dust on the sensor? So why would you send your scanner back when it is an even simpler job to clean it?

Steve