The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Develop 35mm pano film in corner minilab??

lowep

I am exploring the idea of using of 35mm film in a panorama adapter for my Mamiya 7 as an option for shooting film in places that do not have suppliers or processing labs for 120 roll film.

Is it possible to develop panorama shots on 35mm color film negative in a standard Kodak or Fuji minilab that are found on street corners all over the world - or do the developing systems of these minilabs use film holders that only permit developing of standard-width 35mm exposures and not panoramic-width exposures?

I am only concerned about developing color negs, not printing, as I have a good negative scanner. I hope somebody can give me some advice about this.

Another option of course could be to develop my own black and white film either MF or 35mm that I have done before -- but to do this would I not need access to a supply of clean running water that can be adjusted to get the correct temperature, which is not easy to find in developing countries - or is there another way to do this?

cjlacz

I would think it would be possible to do in a minilab. What I would ask is if you can get your film uncut and just returned as a developed roll. I do that all the time in Tokyo as my preferred film holders are 5 across rather than 6 for easier contact prints. I would guess at least some labs would have that option in the US.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I sometimes tell them to not cut my rolls at the drug-store mini lab, so you could be in control of where the cuts are. Also, I've watched them cut my roll and they just cut between frames, so I see no problem with you getting a 35mm film that was shot in the Mamiya 7 developed anywhere, as long as it is C41 process film. The pity is that the 6x7 film out of the Mamiya 7 would be so much better, but you have to do what you have to do to get the shots.