The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Film Recommendations

B

brettpatrick

I've got some upcoming portrait work that I'll be shooting on a Mamiya 6. I've heard that Velvia 100 isn't great for flesh tones. I know I could try the 100F but I'm wondering what film might work best for African American skin tones? What would you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

robertwright

assuming neg is not a choice?
portra 160 is astoundingly good and scans well. Kodak's best film and now they are bankrupt. Its too ironic.

B

brettpatrick

It is I guess. I hadn't thought of that. A friend suggested I stick with slide film since I will do some digital editing and eventually make large prints. I'm open to either, I just want to do whats best for my final prints.

robertwright

color wise it is easier to scan transparencies no doubt. dynamic range it is harder to scan transparencies, you need a good scanner or you loose detail in the shadows. Neg has a much better dynamic range when shooting but is harder to scan bc of the orange layer and also bc of the compression that gives you that amazing dynamic range. so you sort of pick your poison I guess. If you are going digital eventually then I guess the factors are what is shooting experience like, neg vs. slide, and how good is your scanner and your experience level scanning. Scanning is tough. Slides could make it easier tho in terms of color.

B

brettpatrick

I'll probably get the shots professionally scanned.