The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shelf life of unmixed D76?

dizzyg44

I've been using D76 and love it, my solution was mixed 20 months ago and still working great so I know when stored properly it can last much longer than the rated life. However, I'm running out.

I was gifted a bag of D76 powder, still sealed, no signs of damage to it's packaging. However, it's really old like late 80's I think as I don't have it in front of me.

What are the chances that it'd still work if I mix it up? (not expecting perfection, usable).

click^4

This is pretty late, but...

If the bag is still sealed, I think the shelf life of powder developer is "pretty much forever". I've mixed up cans of Microdol nearly twice that old and they were fine.

dizzyg44

Thanks!

Believe it or not, I'm still using stock D76 solution that's been mixed almost 2 years ago (I dump instead of replenish) that's still working perfectly!

vickko

Hmm, that is interesting. I have some D76 that is just 2 months old, and I just poured it into smaller glass bottles so that there is less air in the bottle.
I want to keep using mine, since in a full stoppered bottle, it is supposed to last 6 months.
How much air was in your bottles, and what kind of bottles did you use?

Vick

dizzyg44

They're just thin plastic 1 gallon water jugs, I simply squeeze out any excess air out with putting the cap on.

Out of frugality, instead of buy special bottles or any of that, I just buy filtered water and use the jugs the water comes in simply pouring out as needed to make room for the other parts of the mix.

camping

In my film days I added glass marbles to my glass developer bottle to limit the air in the bottle. Good old Rodinal days!

Paul

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Get a wine preserver and puff some into the bottle to prevent oxidization of the developer. They contain a heavy inert gas which will sink to the bottom and sit on top of the liquid. Butane is common. You can use a lighter as well. Doesn't take much as long as the bottle sits still.