Site Sponsors

Thread: shelf life of unmixed D76?

Post Thanks / Like

shelf life of unmixed D76?

I've been using D76 and love it, my solution was mixed 20 months ago and still working great so I know when stored properly it can last much longer than the rated life. However, I'm running out.

I was gifted a bag of D76 powder, still sealed, no signs of damage to it's packaging. However, it's really old like late 80's I think as I don't have it in front of me.

What are the chances that it'd still work if I mix it up? (not expecting perfection, usable).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: shelf life of unmixed D76?

This is pretty late, but...

If the bag is still sealed, I think the shelf life of powder developer is "pretty much forever". I've mixed up cans of Microdol nearly twice that old and they were fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Believe it or not, I'm still using stock D76 solution that's been mixed almost 2 years ago (I dump instead of replenish) that's still working perfectly!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, that is interesting. I have some D76 that is just 2 months old, and I just poured it into smaller glass bottles so that there is less air in the bottle.
    I want to keep using mine, since in a full stoppered bottle, it is supposed to last 6 months.
    How much air was in your bottles, and what kind of bottles did you use?

Vick

Post Thanks / Like

They're just thin plastic 1 gallon water jugs, I simply squeeze out any excess air out with putting the cap on.

Out of frugality, instead of buy special bottles or any of that, I just buy filtered water and use the jugs the water comes in simply pouring out as needed to make room for the other parts of the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

In my film days I added glass marbles to my glass developer bottle to limit the air in the bottle. Good old Rodinal days!

Paul

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a wine preserver and puff some into the bottle to prevent oxidization of the developer. They contain a heavy inert gas which will sink to the bottom and sit on top of the liquid. Butane is common. You can use a lighter as well. Doesn't take much as long as the bottle sits still.