The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bill Brandt /'Day for Night' Technique,,,How does one do

helenhill

Just wondering ....Got a FAB Book
Bill Brandt 'Shadows of Light' and I LUV his work

I read Brandt often used his Darkroom to alter
"Day for Night" techniques
employed by cinematographers to transform images
photographed in Daylght into Night time Scenes

Anyone have any Tips or Advice ?

Much Appreciated :) - Helen

charlesphoto

I think he did a lot of burning. I did that with an image once where I turned the background from white to black (it was a c/u profile shot of Jimi Hendrix's father). Now much easier to do digitally of course, but really not the same.

So, yeah, lots and lots of heavy handed burning.

N

nei1

Bill Brandt did alot to distort what he saw into what he wanted.He used mirrors,extreme wideangle lenses and a lot of darkroom work where he would combine negatives,to get what he wanted.You cant help but wonder what he would have created with todays post processing.In short Helen just keep changing things until you get it to look the way it should be.I think a good tip that I read is to do all the experimental work in photoshop and when you have the image as you like it use this as a guide in the darkroom,should save some money,all the best Neil.

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

You could also investigate into making a reverse center filter to create a slight vignette to help burn in the skies and edges of the print. I've used LEE filters with a hole cut out in the center at different densities to create a natural looking vignette.

fotografz

Helen,

It's all about filters and using specific types of light and exposure during the day ...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2134649_day-night-black-white-film.html

http://www.videomaker.com/article/10368/

I still have all the filters I used to do night-for-day. It's nice to have a range of filters for B&W work anyway. You can darken skys, lighten folage and all sorts of cool stuff.

BTW, I have a signed 11"X14" Bill Brant on my wall ... but not a night-for-day one ... it's this sort of Picasso-ish image:

helenhill

Re: Bill Brant /'Day for Night' Technique,,,How does one do

Thank You /Andrew & Marc

Marc: I am soooo Jealous of your Brant Print
Tres Beautiful !! LOVE the Extreme Contrast....