The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First scan from Minolta Multi Pro

ReeRay

Finally acquired a Multi Pro that works!

This is actually my first scan from a dedicated film scanner and I would appreciate your comments as to whether I'm in the right direction.

Hasten to add that the sky really was that color - 10 minutes later I was soaked through!

Velvia 50 iso slide shot 1989 in Menorca (last time I used 35mm!)

robmac

Nicely done. Velvia can sometimes be a $%^& to scan. Have a Coolscan V enroute to replace my 5000ED I idiotically sold last year, but always keeping my eyes open for a nice MultiPro or 9000 ED.

What do you think of the unit?

ReeRay

Thanks for the encouragement Rob.
The Multi Pro is awesome. Holds highlights and produces shadow detail perfectly and sooo easy to use. I haven't used any software other than the Dimage scan but am awaiting the diffusers and expanders from ScanHancer which apparently improve things. All in all I'm very happy with the unit.

Lars

Looks like Velvia... I have Velvia slides with a stormy sky, it's the exact same color :)

Have you been able to properly clean the scanner? Exspecially paper-framed slides can drop amounts of lint over the years.

(Added Menorca to my vacation list:thumbup:)

ReeRay

Menorca 20 years ago was idyllic - not sure what it's like now though!

Velvia is a bit of a bitch with deep blue skies eh? I must learn how to eradicate/control the artifacts I get. Hopefully the scanhancer attachments will go some way towards this problem.

I don't have any card mounted slides. I use the Gepe plastic mounts and I really wouldn't know how to clean the scanner! But, it seems fine at the moment.

How do you clean it?

robmac

Thanks for the scanner info. Cleaning a dedicated film scanner requires some disassembly - some web sites out there how to do so with CoolScan 5000 IIRC, Dimage will be similar. Lars should be able to give more info.

Idea is to clean lens element and more likely needed, get rid of any built up dust and gungus.

That said, if you don't notice an issue...