The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portraits of Your Gear

bensonga

These would be near the pinnacle of film SLR development from the big three.
Yup, that was my goal. I thought about getting an R9, but I think the only significant difference between the R8 & R9 is the R9 was "DMR ready".

Gary

Shashin

Gary, you just need the Minolta alpha/Dynax/Maxxium 7 or 9, the Pentax LX, and the Contax RTS III. When you get that far, we will then help you out with you medium format film lineup.

bensonga

I'm already much too deep in the weeds now Will. I've got to draw the line somewhere and for 35mm film cameras this is it....with the possible exception of a Leica SL or SL2. ;-)

I'm pretty happy with my collection of medium format film cameras too...so the only gap I would still like to fill someday is an 8x10. These are harder to find.

Gary

Shashin

I've got to draw the line somewhere and for 35mm film cameras this is it....with the possible exception of a Leica SL or SL2. ;-)
Gary, spoken like a true addict. :thumb up: But don't worry, your friends are egging…I mean, supporting you. If you have the money, we have the suggestions.

Actually, that F6 is really it. That is the last and most sophisticate pro 35mm camera produced. I remember it was quite a shock when Nikon announced it as digital was really dominating and it was clear film was going to be a very small market. We (I worked for Konica Minolta) had a body in our QC department. It was thrown into a black plastic bin on the bottom shelf of a steel bookcase with other cameras. A sad commentary on what was becoming the future.

bensonga

Fortunately, collecting film cameras is a relatively inexpensive passion to have these days....even a camera like the F6 isn't terribly expensive now. I think I paid about $600 for my LN- condition R8. Same for my Hasselblads, Pentax 645 and 67II, Mamiya RZ67II, M7II and TLRs....all a fraction of what they cost 10 years ago.

Pre-digital, I couldn't have afforded even the small collection of Hasselblads and lenses I have now. So for film shooters and collectors the digital revolution has been a mixed blessing. High end gear is so much cheaper now, but the selection of films to shoot with has been greatly reduced.

I'm heading out the door now for an afternoon of shooting. Finally got some nice weather here. Besides a digital kit (Sony A7 and Nikon D800e), I'll be taking the F6 and a Hassy 503CW. I know I should take the 645D with me....maybe tomorrow. ;)

Life is good. :D

Gary

dierk

Gandolfi Variant 4x5
click for larger images

I took this one with NEX-6 on Rhinocam and Zeiss Makro-Planar 4/120mm@f/16
(stitched image (5x2) and focus stacking for better DOF gives about 11.000x9.000 pixel)

this combo is good for 200-300 MPixel images :)
Nex-6 on Rhinocam mounted on Gandolfi Variant

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Playing around a bit with Snapseed . One of my jewels . I am the second owner . Taken with CFV-16 , when I still owned it .

bensonga

Here are two of my three "Titans" of 35mm film.

http://www.iconicphoto.com/pdf/nikon_f6_vs_canon_vs_leica_0405.pdf

I guess my Canon EOS-1V didn't get the memo instructing it to show up for this photo op.

As some of you know, I was on a quest to acquire very clean examples of all three of these fine cameras. My first was beautiful black Leica R8 (a worthy stand-in for the R9, but even so....), then I found a very sweet EOS 1V right here on GetDPI (thanks fotografz!) and I finally got the F6 in 2014.

Most people might call it good enough, but while the R8 is an excellent camera, I knew I'd have to get an R9 someday. I found this lovely Anthracite example last week for a very good price.

One of these days, I will get all of them together in one place for a photo of "The Three Titans". :D

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Nice collection, but something seem to be missing, like the RTS III and the Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9 :D
LOL...I'm afraid those fine cameras didn't make the editorial cut for the article on the Titans of 35mm film cameras, which is a good thing for my bank account.

I did manage to resist a recent temptation to buy one of Pentax's last high end 35mm film cameras, the MZ-S. This despite the fact that I was heavily invested in Pentax 35mm during the early 1980s (the MX and ME Super models), before I bought my first Nikon F2. Fortunately, I sold off all of my Pentax 35mm manual focus lenses many years ago and never had any of their AF gear.

Gary

bensonga

Now that is a real classic Hasselblad Jurgen! Early 1950s?

It's a beauty...and aging gracefully.

Gary