The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In doubt again

jaapv

Subscriber Member
In LUF Rolo suggested I should convert this image to monochrome. I'm not sure... Opinions?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have a strange reaction to the greenish -yellow light. I want to like it, but it doesn't feel like anything you would see with the naked eye. So from that standpoint, I do prefer the black and white. The building and all the great lines come through more clearly.

I couldn't resist an attempt to alter the color. Presented strictly as an alternative to your fine shot.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well... I like the B&W best too, but also like the red in the sign and the building and the way they compliment the slight blue cast to the sky, so my version leaves those colors in...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The yellow sodium light is true.
If simply the color balance is changed, then the red neon goes off-color.
So I prefer your original colors.
As for the B&W rendition,
I like it but I am feeling that a blue tone might work with the subject.
Sort of in the feeling of the film "Nosferatu" although your shots do not have the same menacing flavor as the film. Nevertheless, your original color or some (perhaps) blue dominant split-tone.
thanks
-bob

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Thanks! I like Jack's treatment best I think. Layer copy, convert B&W, layer mask and soft brush I suppose?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I like Jack's treatment best I think. Layer copy, convert B&W, layer mask and soft brush I suppose?
NOPE! (I should keep it a secret for the workshops :D :D :D ) But what the heck: It's actually easier to show than explain, but basically a hue/saturation layer, then desaturate select colors.

Cheers,

jaapv

Subscriber Member
NOPE! (I should keep it a secret for the workshops :D :D :D ) But what the heck: It's actually easier to show than explain, but basically a hue/saturation layer, then desaturate select colors.

Cheers,
I see, thanks, a lot less work in the akward corners!

Lisa

A dissenting view: I like the original color one. The yellow-green light is a pleasing contrast to the blue-gray sky, with the red tossed in for accent. The top/left portion and bottom/right portion have strongly contrasting (nearly opposite) colors, and the bit of red in between them mediates between them and provides a focal point. The strong color contrast emphasizes the difference between man-made and nature, and that's lost in the B&W versions.

Lisa