The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rocks!

S

Shelby Lewis

I've started a morning landscape ritual... ie going out and just walking and shooting (practicing) near my home. Here are two abstracts from today (day 1!).

rocks:

c&c always welcome.

O

Oxide Blu

Both of those are beautiful images. Don't laugh -- that second image would work for a Jerry Garcia necktie pattern. :)

S

Shelby Lewis

Both of those are beautiful images. Don't laugh -- that second image would work for a Jerry Garcia necktie pattern. :)
Ha... now that is funny! Thanks for the kind words about the images.
:D

S

Shelby Lewis

Another, definitely not as abstract... i don't think this one works composition-wise, but what the hell, I'll share it anyway, lol.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Shelby, the "subtle yet somehow saturated" undertones of the second image are really working for me. OTOH composition might have more impact (cloning out the lower left corner, smaller piece of rock?) in the first one. Finally i'd love a even silkier look to the water here for added contrast with the rocks -but maybe it's technically challenging with the available light / lens kit.

Looking forward for many more days to come :)

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, the "subtle yet somehow saturated" undertones of the second image are really working for me. OTOH composition might have more impact (cloning out the lower left corner, smaller piece of rock?) in the first one. Finally i'd love a even silkier look to the water here for added contrast with the rocks -but maybe it's technically challenging with the available light / lens kit.

Looking forward for many more days to come :)
Thanks for the comments. I did very little with the color of the second other than bringing the vibrance up a tad. I'm actually going to go reshoot these (because I like them, lol)... both are actually crops from larger images. The first isn't cropped much at all, the second is cropped pretty heavily.

I know what you are saying about the silkiness of the water. Sun had already come up when I shot these (and I didn't have an ND), so 1/2sec was the best I could do... but looking back, I actually like how much texture there is in the water of the second one. You can actually see the fluid dynamics a bit.

So... I'm torn on whether to push the silk any further on the reshoot.

Thanks! :thumbup: