The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Day, Two Photographers (Jack + Uwe)

Don Libby

Want to plan for a coffee in Hollister?
That sounds like a great idea. Give me you phone number in a PM and I'll call you as I make my way from Barstow. Hollister has been a place I've wanted to visit for a long time.

I'll be in a very dirty 4dr Jeep Red Rubicon and am slightly taller than Jack. :D

Don

Ben Rubinstein

Jack I hate you. No, really hate hate hate you. Especially as I have to find money for a 1Ds mkIII for the wedding business.

I've always loved IR as a concept but there is someone here in Jeru shooting my kind of stuff in IR using an 8X10 and 4X5. I know he was thinking of buying a 5D mod.

I didn't want to bother doing a project which is replicated by a guy who personally I believe is a much better photographer than myself (http://www.seasonsofthemoon.com/default.aspx).

The colour however of that IR conversion, not the swapped colour, just the regular straight hugely muted and undersaturated tones, I'm thinking of the train track image. That I could do without replicating. The noise doesn't even bother me, grain and IR kinda go together.

How are you finding focus accuracy Jack?

Knowing that Guy goes through cameras about as fast as it takes me to eat a good meal - Guy (or Jack) when you're fed up with your IR GF-1's, I'm interested, seriously interested. When you sell it to someone else in a couple of months time - I'm gonna come and haunt you... :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
How are you finding focus accuracy Jack?
Spot-on with all lenses :D.

And don't hold your breath on me selling mine --- I am really enjoying it! The biggest advantage to it, is you can shoot it when the light sucks for visible images.

routlaw

What an interesting looking area and apparently great place to photograph. I hear CA is supposedly going to have a banner year of bloom this year do to the rain/snow. When does this peak? Love the car graveyard, vineyard and windmill images.

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few more.

First two are GF1-IR's -- I think I'm starting to get a rhythm for this camera -- and really liking it!:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few B&W conversions out of the P65+. Also finally feel like I'm getting a feeling for these files, and again, *really* liking what I can do with them:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Rob with all this rain California and Arizona have received so far this year it maybe as early as middle of March that it really gets going. Obviously some things like our big Sahauro Cactus is typically middle of May it maybe just come earlier than expected. Arizona in general has gone over it's annual rain fall already and it is only February which will bring early spring flowers and nasty wildfires coming in August when everything dries up and the monsoons set in. We could have a really nasty fire season but we will have a amazing wildflower season. Jack and I are already planning a early May workshop in California which will be devoted mostly to IR shooting and processing. Of course regular color shooting as well but we would like to lean a little heavy on the IR side since we have a golden opportunity here with all this rainfall. My house exactly where i live gets about 7 inches of rain a year. I already have had 8 inches drop on my house in the last month. Northern Arizona is buried in snow as we speak and not by the inches either but by about 8ft so far I believe in Flagstaff. We have gotten hammered

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ben these guy's are starting to piss me off since I don't HAVE mine yet. Uwe and Jack some seriously nice looking stuff guy's. :thumbs:

Don Libby

Agree with Guy. I live in the Tucson area and we've been getting lots of rain here as well - to the point that we're finally at a surplus; first time in years. Snow level here is down close to the 4000 foot mark and we actually have a 2% chance of snow where I live.

Should be an outstanding year for wildflowers!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I want to see even more straight out of camera colour! My wallet of course is begging you not to... :ROTFL:
So... You should realize that the color rendering is *VERY* dependent on lighting. The shots in Alviso of the railroad tracks were under heavy overcast, so less IR is penetrating, making the color spectrum more prominent. Yesterday, we had more open sunshine and so the color becomes less prominent -- here are 3 examples, all basically as shot out of the camera, except I even pumped up saturation by 10 points just so you could better see the hint of color:

(The white in the tree is mistletoe)

What is cool, is you do see what you're getting on the real lCD in live-view form, a bit handier than shooting it in visible and chimping. Also, you get an almost sepia/selenium split-tone effect straight out of the camera, especially if you desaturate by about 50 points. Still figuring it all out myself...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What's the deal with that car graveyard? Is it a designated place where it is allowed?
Sorry Roger, missed this post --

It is on private property but can be photographed from a public road.